VAT / registry question

jointventureII

Visit site
I'm looking at buying a boat in the Med (France or Italy). Nothing big, 25ft or so, which I would keep there (Italy most probably).

I'm from Jersey, Jersey resident etc so anything I buy would be registered as a Jersey vessel. However...

If I buy a French or Italian flagged vessel (with VAT paid), what is the situation if the flag changes to Jersey (i.e. non EU)?

Would the boat then be required to leave the EU every 18 months under the Temp Admission, or is it all good as the VAT has been paid at some point during the life of the boat?

I ask as my alternatives (Belgium, Holland, Poland registrations) don't seem to be possible any more.

Any advice greatly appreciated

Portofino

Visit site
For none company or none leasing , both Fr and IT boats to get on there reg by there citizens ( private owners ) need proof of VAT paid .
So much so ( they issue reg numbers to be displayed) that the various authorities that stop + check ,
In my experience thus far ...3 French + 2x Italian take the reg doc , with the matriculation number as evidence of its vat paid status .

As far as changing , and keeping a paper trail ....your Q ?
I have a ex IT reg private owner boat .Re registered on U.K. SSR part 3 .

The broker did what they call “ irradiation of the flag “ You have to an Italian citizen to keep the IT reg .
As well as numbers on the boat , they have a blue reg book .In Italy it’s a book not a cert .
Has loadsa of info specific to the boat , HP , engine serial numbers , HIN , dimensions, etc etc .Owners name address it’s pretty detailed compared to a U.K. single sheet cert .

You buy the boat and broker gets a temporary note from the port office which he gives you .
You then send the original book back , he sends it or goes personally to the port office and they issue a de reg doc .

Keep a copy of the blue book iirc 5/6 pages and a copy of the temporary cover note thing .

Register it where ever say Jersey in your case .

Start sailing .
Guardia Finanza will eventually find you believe me ....been done twice in 5 years in Italy .
2 days after buying it ....the temp cover note thing did it’s job + I had the original blue book with previous owners details.
A few weeks ago I had our U.K. part 3 and copies of all the previous paper trail .

Tip out the old blue book and the temporary cover note .They can also see the faint decal ghost marks ( well you can on mine ) where you have removed the old decals , that it was in there register in the past .
The fact that it under another flag is irrelevant as they see the past paper trail .

If they said ...prove it , show us a vat paid receipt from 2002 , where is that sir ? ....well I have not got one .
As said they take the fact it’s been privately reg ed as proof it must have been vat paid .
The dealer / first owner would have sorted out the vat to get on the reg in the first place .

We have copies of the blue book and via that could trace everything back from that .

Summary if buying an IT boat registered on there reg just keep a copy of the blue book .

Just be careful if you end up looking at a company owned or vat leased private scheme boat .
Some one will along to explain to sort that out .
Better asking before viewing if it’s fully vat paid ask to see the blue book to see a owner name, not a bank or company .

jointventureII

Visit site
Thanks.

I'm going to give a few customs authorities a call tomorrow. If VAT paid once during the life of the boat is ok then that's fine, it's fairly easy to prove.