VAT not paid vessel post 31st December

Seven Spades

Visit site
Ok so what is the position of a British flagged vessel that has EU Vat paid status crewed by British and Irish passport holders. Does the fact that the boat has EU paid status mean that a transit log is not necessary?

CatNandini

Visit site
Dear Irish Rover,
We are in the hands of Kos authorities....;-). Same registration set up like you have, living aboard. May I ask how you changed " user" as mentioned in the TL after 6 months? We were informed that its no problem to switch back and forth between partners ..... Kos wants us to leave the country for 6 months, not allowed to use the boat for more than 6 months with an 18 month TL. A bit confused....how did you manage to stay aboard? Thank you so much for a short info!

Irish Rover

Visit site
Dear Irish Rover,
We are in the hands of Kos authorities....;-). Same registration set up like you have, living aboard. May I ask how you changed " user" as mentioned in the TL after 6 months? We were informed that its no problem to switch back and forth between partners ..... Kos wants us to leave the country for 6 months, not allowed to use the boat for more than 6 months with an 18 month TL. A bit confused....how did you manage to stay aboard? Thank you so much for a short info!
I can't really help you, I'm afraid. I live in Turkey and keep my boat here. I've never spent more than 6/7 weeks in Greece at a time. As I understand it if the boat owners spend more than 6 months in Greece in any one year they become Greek/EU residents for tax purposes and no longer entitled to avail of TA.

Tranona

Visit site
Is your boat on the SSR? In which case they probably think that you need to be resident in the UK for 6 months to qualify for that type of registration.

Chris_Robb

Visit site
Dear Irish Rover,

I can't really help you, I'm afraid. I live in Turkey and keep my boat here. I've never spent more than 6/7 weeks in Greece at a time. As I understand it if the boat owners spend more than 6 months in Greece in any one year they become Greek/EU residents for tax purposes and no longer entitled to avail of TA.
First - if you are not Vat paid, and you have a 12 month residency card - you should not be on the boat at all and it should be in bond or the Vat should be paid. EU Rules say that with residency comes the requirement to pay VAT at once. (normally one months grace in Greece.

The SSR issue was an early teething issue - SSR on their website says 6 months or more residency - the Law says that you need to be ordinarily resident, something which is only defined in UK law by case law.... so how long is a piece of string.

Let me know if you have a Valid VAT invoice AND a letter saying you were in Greece (or the EU27) on the 31st 12 2020.
If that is the case let me know and I will tell you what the official process is that you should follow to challenge the Kos Customs ruling.