Varnish going milky

LadyInBed

montymariner.co.uk
Using Ronseal Diamond Hard clear satin.
I lightly rubbed the hardwood veneer down and then wiped the surface with white spirit on a cloth.
Applied two thin coats with a new brush and left it a couple of days in my shed / workshop.
When I returned to redo it the surface was milky in places but I lightly rubbed it down again and then wiped the surface with white spirit and applied another coat of varnish.
After another couple of days, same result!
Is it unheated shed temperature, white spirit reacting, or should I be using a cellulose thinner or using the wrong varnish?

pcatterall

Visit site
I lightly rubbed the hardwood veneer down and then wiped the surface with white spirit on a cloth.
Applied two thin coats with a new brush and left it a couple of days in my shed / workshop.
When I returned to redo it the surface was milky in places but I lightly rubbed it down again and then wiped the surface with white spirit and applied another coat of varnish.
Is it unheated shed temperature, white spirit reacting, or should I be using a cellulose thinner or using the wrong varnish?

Ive had it and put it down to temperature.

ithet

Visit site
Also had this Diamond Hard when temperature below 15deg C. You need to do it in the warm. Not sure about using too much white spirit as it is a water based varnish. I used a tak rag.

When used in correct conditions can re-coat in a few hours and get good results - I did floorboards.

lw395

Visit site
I had this some years ago.
A kitchen floor at home.
The white spirit is a mistake.
I had a long and fairly technical conversation with Ronseal about this.
Mine eventually dried clear, but for some months it would go milky on the surface every time a drop of water hit it.
After a few months it sorted itself out and lasted several years, still looking good when the house was sold.

This is a while back, formulations could have changed since then.

To remove dust before varnishing, I just use a clean cloth with a little varnish on it. The cloth I've just wiped the stirring screwdriver with generally!

Leighb

Visit site
I used Diamond Hard on my wheelhouse floor boards. I was very worried after I did the first batch as, altho' they had apparently dried overnight, they looked milky. However after another 24 hours they looked clear and still look great a year later. Perhaps if done at a low temp it can take very much longer to fully cure?

VicS

Visit site
Almost certainly the low temperatures. ...................... The instructions say to apply in a warm well ventilated room.

PhillM

Visit site
Almost certainly the low temperatures. ...................... The instructions say to apply in a warm well ventilated room.

and humidity. Never apply in the rain (even if you are inside) and never after 3pm, at any time of year.

If you must varnish in the winter, try skippers 2 pack. Not the same finish of course. But has its uses (on my gunnels first example).

IPsailor

Visit site
I had this exact same problem with this product a few years ago. It had occurred first when doing some floor hatch panels in controlled conditions at home, then in cool conditions on the boat. I discussed with Ronseal, rubbed down and reapplied in heated conditions on the boat - finish went milky again. Once they got the batch number they sent me replacement product straight away ..... Been fine since then. So may be worth discussion with Ronseal.
Andrew