Vancouver 27 Advice

Little Dorrit

Visit site
Are there any owners of Vancouver 27 yachts built in 1986 that can offer any advice on these boats?

I'm looking for one as a live aboard/single handed option. Any advice would be very welcome.

In particular any problems or things to look out for.?

I have read ybw posts previously but nothing recently (in last two years posted).

What comparable boats are there at £20k or there abouts price range in good condition that would be suitable options? Nic 30? Rival"? Bruce Roberts? Centuron? Rustler? Halmatic? Seadog? Any more suggestions?

Thanks in advance for any comments or advice.

Tranona

Visit site
Few direct competitors to the Vancouver but plenty of potential choice of boats around 30' and £20k suitable for your intended use. You have already identified some of the most obvious. As ever with 30+ year old boats condition is more important than the specific design. Draw up your list of features you are looking for and see what is available that meets that list.

Athene V30

Playa del Ingles, Gran Canaria in Winter, the boat
Visit site
I had a Vancouver 274 for 15 months. Fantastic boat in a blow, comfortable and for a long keel boat even reasonably predictable going astern. Most of my sailing was singlehanded. 1986 reasonably equipped you are looking more at £25k but they hold their value. With a little tlc I sold mine quickly for more than I paid.

On purchase there was some water in the non structural half bulkhead by the companion way where the drainage from the cockpit side lockers was inadequate. Other than that the odd leak under the Genoa track.

Only sold her as I am moving to Canaries. Any specific questions please pm me.

Goldie

Visit site
IMHO the Halmatic probably offers the best accommodation and of the versions, the MK2 rig may be slightly better balanced (although I sailed a Mk1 to the Med and back and both autopilot and Aries coped fine). Only thing I can think of to specifically look out for is to make sure that the chainplate attachments for the cap shrouds are up to the job. Early models were prone to deck cracking aroud these. Choice of 2 layouts too depending on age. With all due respect to Seadogs, friends have one and admit to having to motor more than they'd like to mainrain progress. Some nice boats on that list though! Good luck in your hunt.

V1701

Visit site
Are you planning long distance ocean sailing? Victoria 26, or even outside chance of a 30 in today's buyers market? If you want more room for living aboard there's quite a few to choose from - Rival, Halmatic, Barbican, etc. Put you criteria in to Apollo Duck & Yachtworld & see what comes up, with a budget of £20k or so I'd look at boats advertised up to £30k. Happy hunting...

Concerto

Visit site
The Nich 30 was a race boat, my parents raced one. The Nich 31 is a totally different boat and think you meant that one.

Boats for £20,000 would all be 30 years old or more, so condition is everything. Your main consideration should be living space in as large a hull that is of medium to heavy displacement. You should also consider a variety of Westerlies as they would also meet your requirements. Many have been cruised all over the world and there is a very active owners association.

G12

Visit site
I have a 1987 V28, She's a great boat and very good for single handing which is what I mainly use her for. I would recommend the 28 over the 27, she's only a foot longer but there are other modifications such as a semi balanced rudder, higher topsides and a bit more beam to make her a bit more stable. I looked at 27's and 28's before buying mine. There isn't that much difference in the price.
Look for deck leaks, rotten plywood bulkheads, worn lower rudder bearing (you'll have to have her lifted for that) - and evenything else you'd look for in a boat that age. The rigs are strong and pretty bullet proof. If you can get one with the larger engine option (or one that has been re-engined) then that is a bonus as the 2GM20 isn't really up to the task of punching any weather.

Check here for tons of info.....
http://www.vancouveryachtsassociation.org.uk/

Little Dorrit

Visit site
Hey the responses are much appreciated. I'm pretty busy right now but have read all your comments and would like to say thanks! I'll probably post a reply to some of the posts so hope you can reply in due course. Hope you appreciate I'm not in a position to give the posts my full attention right now!

Jim@sea

Visit site
I looked at buying a new Vancouver 27 and decided on a Moody 30 (which was cheaper) the Moody had better accommodation. I wish I had it now.