Using Morse single lever with button

Heytimc

Visit site
We've just acquired an old boat with a single-lever Morse-type engine control ; can anyone tell us what the button does? We get forward and reverse motion both by simply pushing the lever in the desired direction or by holding the button down then pushing. There's certainly gear noise happening when we do the latter, good noise I hasten to add. This is driving an old Volvo MD2B.

Heytimc

Visit site
Thanks :) Tied to the finger and trying it yesterday we did get forward and reverse motion with both different types of actuation. Maybe it needs attention :/

VicS

Visit site
We've just acquired an old boat with a single-lever Morse-type engine control ; can anyone tell us what the button does? We get forward and reverse motion both by simply pushing the lever in the desired direction or by holding the button down then pushing. There's certainly gear noise happening when we do the latter, good noise I hasten to add. This is driving an old Volvo MD2B.
Your owners manual should explain .... if you have mislaid your copy you can download one from Engine Manuals and Handbooks | Volvo Penta UK & Ireland

If the type with a red button ( which made have lost its red cap) The button does tend to stick especially if it still has the red cap

1662024295423.png

Refueler

Visit site
My Single lever (old Morse) ... when Button is OUT (default).... the Gear shift + throttle function is engaged.

When I centre the lever - push button IN while then moving lever - the gear function is disengaged and lever only operates throttle. But I must have lever at neutral centre position for it to be able to be pushed in. When lever returns to neutral centre - button pops out and I am back into gear + throttle function.

Its common for the button to be stuck / stiff and needs a bit of lub now and again.

Black Sheep

Visit site
Yes - apologies, I forgot that some are "innies" and some are "outies". Mine is normally in (in gear) but you pull it out to take it out of gear.
It looks something like this:
1662027418206.png
But I think the newer ones are the other way round.

Either way - I agree with VicS and Refueler that they are inclined to stick. A spot of oil/grease might help. Or if you can move the button but the behaviour isn't changing, check the linkages between the button and the gearbox

scottie

Visit site
Both work in similar ways ie a pin through the central shaft which is displaced to allow gear selection to be disengaged and both wear the corners off the slots in which they lie allowing the pin to be jacked out rather than engaging
the Morse MI / MV with the pull action can be stripped and cleaned but be careful not to displace the detent ball which is spring loaded
the TX red button can swell and discolour and is replaceable but the mechanism is riveted and not meant to be opened

salar

harley25refit.blogspot.co.uk
Same as mine, which has a Push button to disengate the gear so I can rev the engine in neutral. However....when the cable became stiff it refused to disengage from neutral so it can be a bit sensitive to wear and tear. In my case the cable had been fried by an exhaust blow-out so it wasn't the Morse control's fault.

Corribee Boy

Visit site
Sorry for the hijack, but same subject: My throttle's got the 'press in for revving in neutral' option, but the red plastic button's gone. Does anyone know if it's just a push fit?

CLP

Visit site
Sorry for the hijack, but same subject: My throttle's got the 'press in for revving in neutral' option, but the red plastic button's gone. Does anyone know if it's just a push fit?
I've just been through the job of replacing a broken red button. I had to remove the handle to get at what was left of the button. This was made difficult because the handle was seized onto the splined shaft. In the end patience, lots of WD40 and gentle pursuasion got the handle off and fitting a new button was very easy.