Upside Down Liferafts

Gludy

www.sailingvideos4us.com
When a life raft is deployed (something I have never done), what are the chances of it inflating upside down? Is it 50/50? Apparantly they are fairly difficult to turn over to correct an upside down inflation. Seems to me the last thing anyone wants is to have one inflate upside down and have to spend time righting it before getting in it. How many folks on this forum have ever used a liferaft and what have been their experiences?

Paul

D

Deleted User YDKXO

Good point, Paul. I've never used one in anger; all I know is that the ones you and I buy are not self righting 'coz I asked at the Show. Maybe its best to inflate it in the cockpit and lob it over the side afterwards
BTW I heard a story about a yottie who kept his liferaft under the nav station inside his boat. One day he tripped over the lanyard and the thing inflated, destroying the nav station and a part of the saloon and ripping the wiring out of all the nav instruments. Something to think about for those who store the raft inside

ChrisW

Visit site
For some good advise give the guys from Ocean Safety in Bitterne, Southampton a ring. 02380 333334. When we ran an RYA school we used to take our students there and they would show us if possible several liferafts even inflate some which were in for a service show us the contents etc. I was amazed at how little I knew about liferafts.

Give them a go they don't bite.

bedouin

Visit site
Very few I should think.

Compared to us raggies, I think stinkpotters tend to eschew heavy weather, and can run for cover faster if the situation deteriorates unexpectedly :)

JohnR

Visit site
I asked this question last night of someone who had done a survival course. His reply that in a swimming pool no problem, but in a wind - difficult and especially so if you are cold, tired and frightened. At the Boat Show Viking of Hamble had a self righting one on their stand and it looked good.

byron

RIP
Visit site
The only time a motorboater will need a liferaft is if their boat catches fire or gets holed/run down. In bad weather forget it, if your boat can't take it what do you expect of a life raft? Just getting into one would be nigh on impossible.

ô¿ô

Divemaster1

Visit site
Never used one in anger, but have deployed & used during a survival course..

Turning one is very difficult and near impossible in high winds as if you are successful, the wing will in all probability tolle it again.... You're better off climbing into it leaving it turned and get your body out of the water to improve your chance of survival..

I guess that a liferaft is one of these pieces of kit we all carry, but hope we never have to use. Of course in an ideal situation, all crew would know how to use this device and as such is included in the safety brief we all have before leaving port....

Divemaster1

Divemaster1

Visit site
Never used one in anger, but have deployed & used during a survival course..

Turning one is very difficult and near impossible in high winds and if you are successful, the wind will in all probability turn it again.... You're better off climbing into it leaving it turned and get your body out of the water to improve your chance of survival..

I guess that a liferaft is one of these pieces of kit we all carry, but hope we never have to use. Of course in an ideal situation, all crew would know how to use this device and as such is included in the safety brief we all give before leaving port....

Divemaster1

Gludy

www.sailingvideos4us.com
I bought the 8 man canister Viking at the show because:-
1. It was self righting
2. It was of a high build quality with a long life.
3. It had a proper braod step that could support an adult for climbing into the raft.
4. It had two large entrances, one to get into from the boat and one sea entrance.
5. It rides 30 foot waves without twisting and whilst empty - as there may only be two people in it, this combined with the self righting even when empty, seemed a basic safety thing to me. I would not fancy trying to turn an 8 man over in a big sea.

I started this thread because having for the first time studied the subject of liferafts, I reached the conclusion that most leave a lot to be desired - in particular if there is a 50% chance of upside down inflation. Having spent the money I hope I will never use what I have purchased!

However, I am a beginner to boating and hence wanted to test my thoeretical knowledge against thos with more experience.Hence the thread. Are my conlusions just niave rubbish or are they true?

Paul

tcm

Visit site
Re: all hail gludy

Sounds fab. With boats, as with most other stuff, you can't go far wrong with the most fabulous and expensive option availble. It's just never ever crap.

Only prob is not ever using it, so praps have a play with the sun glinty thing and eat the chocolate on a calm sunny afternoon in a few years time just before sending it off for service?

longjohnsilver

Visit site
Answer the question tcm

Well come on Matt, how do you stuff it all back in/ get it to the servicing centre, must be enormous when inflated, (no comment from that naughty MrsB!!) bits everywhere - how would you even get it out of the water. Have you ever tried it?

tcm

Visit site
Re: Ooer answering the question...

Well ahem no. But

1. wd suggest it a reasonable idea to have a go at using the thing. Admit this is easier in med with warm water, biggish boat, and nearby service centre, all (wrongly) assumed.

2. re saftey things...at start of one season I realised that the boys had never seen a fire extinguisher up close, definitely not ever used one. Yeah, it says "don't partially use" but anyway we had a few (fire extinguishers!) and I wanted them to see fire extinguishers as a "can do" item rather than a "don't touch" item so we took it up on deck to sploosh at pontoon, took pin out pulled trigger and ...nothing happened. Those tests that are carried out on fire extinguishers only check the weight, not the mechanism nor anything else, so if it doesn't work before the check, it won't work after, though it will have a little squiggle and the date of squiggle. Worrisome eh?

The defence rests

longjohnsilver

Visit site
Fire!

Good point re fire extinguishers. I too have never tried to use one although have them both at home and on boat. Will make a mental note to try at least one of them with rest of family present.

Did you manage to get yours to work, if so, how? Or was it completely knackered. And how would you know without using it? Speak up you F E expert!!!! ;-))

Gludy

www.sailingvideos4us.com
Re: Answer the question tcm

I really hope I never ever use it, every service will be money well spent, then in about 20 years time I can throw it away and buy another that I hopefully, will never use.

As regards the weathe being that bad that it sinks the boat, then given the choice of no boat, I would like to try my chances in a lifraft which is basically a bubble in the water, rather than simply accept my fate.

How about hitting a container, holing your boat, boat sinks - in this situation would you like a life raft or not ... I would like the option of one very much thank you.

As regards checking one out by inflating it - how about doing this before each service is due? This would allow you to deploy it and get some practice in. Then just drag it into the cockpit, deflate, and shove it in the back of a van or something to deliver to the service station. In effect, this is what the service station does anyway - they inflate it, check it and re-pack it.

So far, the 50% chance of upside down inflation still holds .... unless someone out there knows different?

Paul