Upside Down Liferafts

tcm

Visit site
Re: Fire!

no, never got it to work, and anyway, not much use if it's like a blimmin "aha well no see you have to turn this dia, then press that then pull these whilst holding that down" type thing.

The dealer wrote to supplier (fairline) going bit potty. Tho to be fair, no idea how they would be able to do quality checks on them before fitting, and wd get bit expensive they allowed for some to work, and some not.

Incidentally, lots of fire extinguishers are in loony places - usually right next to the cooker, on top of best place for a fire, or even over the other side of the cooker so wd have to ow ow argh lean ove to get it. Sometimes if they're away from the cooker they're towards bows - whereas you're likely to back out of the boat. Yes, one of them needed there to get past, but main ones should be away and near companionway, another one or two near helm for picking up and rushing downstairs, imho.

tcm

Visit site
Re: agreed!

absolutely, inflating it and then bunging it into back of car to take it for a service a good idea imho.
Not sure about it lasting twenty years, but anyway, the service bods will say when.

JohnR

Visit site

How many extinguishers do you fit. I am reckoning on 2kg powder in each sleeping cabin. 1x 6kg dry powder and similar size Co2 in pilot house. Another 6kg powder outside and those errr black painted halon in the lazarette. There is an automatic system in the engine room.

tcm

Visit site

I'm no expert. Perhaps a chat to the fire brigade. Yes, I'm serious! I bet that in Lymington there'll be someone pretty expert at how to handle boat fires.

On a boat 64 feet long, you could get a good ole fire going and be well out at sea. Praps anticipate that none of them work. Also, in a real fire, first awake will take the only fire extinguisher to get out. Doesn't it have a sort of mega water splooshing fire hydrant thing? You will have to catch the fire pretty early on and hope the liferaft doesn't cop it.

JohnR

Visit site

Yes we are suppose to have a mega slooshing fire pump but the MCA regultations specify fire hose nozzles of a size which are not made and are unable to answer the question "how many gpm will produce the pressure required through a nozzle which isn't made"