Update on Situation on the Briare Canal.

boatmike

Visit site
I believe many readers will be getting a bit bored with this subject by now but as there are at least 2 other people watching including Corfubound, I thought I would post this alert to what seems to be an improving situation. Notice 2016/03083 seems to indicate that the canal is open again but with limited depth. This could mean that the breach has been repaired and it's filling up. It appears that between Montbouy and Buges there is between 1 and 1.5 metres of water if I am reading this right. I am not quite clear if this means the entire canal is now passable but it could mean that Corfubound with 1.6 metres draught might soon escape, and others like me might get through this way after all. If others like Grehan with more experience of interpreting VNF notices know more please post.

corfubound

Visit site
Hi mike, the section you mention is the stretch above Montargis locks, we were moved from there as they were draining it to 1.5m from 2m. As far as i understand there is still a bl**dy big hole in the next section on. The lock at Buges is/was out of action last weekend. Be surprised if the canal open by Christmas. Paul.

corfubound

Visit site
Hi mike, just checked VNF site and it appears not to have any closure notices just a couple of limitations to water depth. I'm going over there next week, so will update here on what I find there. Will be terrific news for me if they can get depths back to normal for september, or maybe they just forgot to put the Briare closure on.

corfubound

Visit site
Just returned from Montargis, latest update is they are still repairing the canal and while VNF are not showing the canal as closed it effectively is as the lock keeper is not allowing boats to pass. They are in hope of getting it open again by September.

corfubound

Visit site
Has anyone any more information on the canal state? The VNF site isnt of much help (nothing's changed) and I'm hope to continue south as soon as the canal re-opens.

Grehan

www.french-waterways.com
Canals Loing, Briare and now River Marne

It really is not a good year for VNF closures, whether they're beyond their control or not. This is unusual, but irritating nonetheless.

I've been getting emails about the Briare/Loing situation, all asking for information that I can't provide definitively. To the best of my understanding the Loing problem/stoppage may have been solved (a major hotel barge fleet operating there has said as much) but the Briare remains - although opinions seem to differ about when the repair works will be finished, ranging from mid-August (i.e now) to September (early? late? who knows?).

Now I hear (via the DBA forum) that the Marne will be closed between Chateau Thierry PK56 and Meaux PK146 between Sept. 12 and Oct. 10. They are repairing locks and such like and need to lower the water levels to do so. No passage and no mooring between those places. And also, further east, that the ecluse at Cumieres near Epernay will also be closed during the same period. This comprehensively messes up the 'Champagne' Marne-Saone route for a month. Some loud 'representations', as they say, are being made.

corfubound

Visit site
Re: Canals Loing, Briare and now River Marne

That's great news Grehan, may just make port saint louis this year after all. Many thanks.

Grehan

www.french-waterways.com
Re: Canals Loing, Briare and now River Marne

Yes, well, always pleased to be the bearer of good news . . . but don't hold me to it!
My source is the capitain at St Florentin (C de Bourgogne) who has - so he says - spoken to VNF.