Uninsured when singlehanded

MoodySabre

Visit site
Nobody to sail with on Saturday afternoon - forecast F2 wall to wall sunshine. Policy says minimum of 2 required. So do I:
a. ignore it as insurance not legal requirement and risks are small
b. tell insurance co and pay a higher premium (if they would cover me anyway)
c. go with someone that I don't really want to invite
d. stay at home?

Any volunteers?

A

Anonymous

If you feel both fit and wishing to sail single handed then you've got to get this sorted or you will miss a lot of use of your boat.

CPD

Visit site
Roger, my advice is go sailing on Saturday and then change your insurers next week. Singlehanding isnt an issue for my insurance in daylight hours. Have a good weekend. I will be out for a quick blast tomorrow morning, but tied up at the weekend.

Rustyknight

Visit site
With GJW I'm insured for singlehanding during daylight hours. I don't think the premium was increased for this, although the excess is increased by 50% if something goes wrong when I'm alone......... but reverts back to normal if I have crew.

Gumpy

Visit site
I queried this with GJW when I first got the policy, I am only not allowed to single hand at night, no extra excess or loading.
When I asked what would happen if I had a problem (mechanical breakdown) and was prevented from making it back in daylight I was told (in writing) that its not a problem and I would be covered.

gandy

Aberdeenshire (quite far from the Solent)
Visit site
Mine allowed daylight hours without penalty as well. The policy defaults to not covering single-handed, but the broker advised me it could be added without penalty as long as I request it on the proposal.

Pole Star policy from K C Powell, as recommended on this forum.

CPD

Visit site
Roger, you did. I attempted a dry out just beyond the Outdoor Centre launch track. The boat sank too far, I sank too far, I got very muddy, the cockpit got very muddy, and the log still doesnt work. I had obviously tried cleaning the impeller, but it was clear that the underside was fouled and affecting operation. Never mind, the bar stocks Newcastle Brown Ale, so a couple of those and I slept well and laughed it off. I am planning to get out at 7am tomorrow and come back in on the rising tide. I will almost certainly be over next Thursday at 5ish.

MoodySabre

Visit site
I was with K C Powell but they now insure through GJW but continue their own brokerage. The son of Powells owner is actually employed by GJW. They told me this when I popped in there with my cheque recently - just round the corner from me.

I'll get this sorted tomorrow. Thanks all.

aknight

yachtarabella.blogspot.com
Not sure if your GJW policy is the same as mine, but if it is the Plain Language Insurance Policy (try not to laugh) then you should refer to Section 7(K) on page 16 of the policy booklet, where you make a warranty as to crew.

"(i) You warrant at all times when the vessel is underway the minimum number of competent crew members on board will be as noted in Endorsement 11 on the Schedule;

Or

(ii) if Endorsement 11 is not noted on the Schedule and if your Vessel is 24 feet in length or over, you warrant at all times when your Vessel is underway the minimum number of competent crew members on board will be 2 except when crossing the Bay of Biscay when there will be 3."

So, first check the policy schedule to see if Endorsement 11 is there. If it isn't, then given that you have a Moody 31, you'll need 2 people on board. However, GJW will cover you for singlehanded use if you aske them. Their proposal form provides for you to request cover for singlehanded use for vessels over 24 feet.

fdmarsden

Visit site
I'm with GJW as well.
They cover singlehanded in daylight for me; when I asked about night time they said 'contact us first' which I take to mean that they will give cover, maybe with a location/duration limitation, or perhaps with an additional fee.

PeterGibbs

Visit site
I think insurers know that plenty of vessels saill with one aboard or virtually so if the crew is uninitiated (?) The policy wording is intended to discourage regular weak crewing, meaning long hours etc leading to excessive exposure to risk.

I know no policy that gives cart blanche singlehanded cover for no added premium. Nor have I heard of a claim being refused because of single handing, or weak/inadequate crewing, although there may be some downscaling of a claim if the skipper took risks, including putting to sea with inadequate crew cover, ie contributed to the outcome. Finding yourself at sea with adverse conditions through mechanical breakdown or sudden onset of poor weather and having to single hand at night to safe haven happens more often than we like to imagine, and is understood by insurers.

I would go to sea, as you propose, but make sure you've got a clear understanding of your risks at the hands of your insurers if matters take a turn for the worse. And as others have said on this topic, look carefully at the wording and its meaning when next renewing........

PWG

MoodySabre

Visit site
Alan - our friends next to you dry out just to the east of the scrubbing posts - their boat is lighter than yours though.

If the weather is good on Thursday you could come for a spin with me if you like. Weather prospects not good at present but we'll see if it improves. I got spoilt by not getting wet all last season.