Uniden VHF radio question

derekgillard

Visit site
Am looking to buy a back up hand held VHF, thought I may find one on E bay, what I have found are loads of Unidden radios from the USA at low prices, does anyone know anything about this product and of course does it work in the UK??

Thanks

Del buoy

RestlessL

Visit site
Just looked at ebay, and didn't think they were that cheap. You can buy a UK set for under £70 (and no doubt someone will be along soon pointing to better deals).

If you do buy a US VHF set you need to factor the following in:

(1) Carriage from the US
(2) Depending on how the set is described, you may be charged import duty.
(3) If you are charged duty, you may have to pay the Post Office to collect the duty from you
(4) You will need a different plug for the charger. If the charger is not dual voltage you may need to find, and buy a new one.
(5) Although the set will work on international channels, these do not include the UK-specific channels (M/M1/37 or M2). If you need these (for example to contact sailing clubs) you will need to find a dealer who can add them (and take more money from you)

J

prv

Visit site
You can buy a UK set for under £70 (and no doubt someone will be along soon pointing to better deals).

Last time I looked at this there was a rash of small Cobra (I think) handhelds all over eBay and the box shifters for £50 or thereabouts.

Pete

pvb

Visit site
Am looking to buy a back up hand held VHF, thought I may find one on E bay, what I have found are loads of Unidden radios from the USA at low prices, does anyone know anything about this product and of course does it work in the UK??

You'll find that most of the Uniden radios on eBay are "refurbished", which sounds like repaired warranty returns. The fact that there are so many may indicate poor reliability.

By the time it's reached you and you've paid VAT/duty/Royal Mail collection charge, you'll be looking at close to £90, and you can get a top quality Standard Horizon HX280E for that.

st599

Visit site
Just looked at ebay, and didn't think they were that cheap. You can buy a UK set for under £70 (and no doubt someone will be along soon pointing to better deals).

If you do buy a US VHF set you need to factor the following in:

(1) Carriage from the US
(2) Depending on how the set is described, you may be charged import duty.
(3) If you are charged duty, you may have to pay the Post Office to collect the duty from you
(4) You will need a different plug for the charger. If the charger is not dual voltage you may need to find, and buy a new one.
(5) Although the set will work on international channels, these do not include the UK-specific channels (M/M1/37 or M2). If you need these (for example to contact sailing clubs) you will need to find a dealer who can add them (and take more money from you)

J

And if you ever get caught using it, you'll get fined as it won't comply to the RT&TE directive.