Undoing corroded(?) stainless steel fittings

Modulation

Visit site
My headstay is a rodrigging affair with a threaded end screwing into a small turnbuckle, in turn fixed to the stem head. I need to renew the drum to my jib furler (bearings totally shot) but the drum won't slip over the turnbuckle, so I need to unscrew the tb. Trouble is it's proving v difficult to do, caked in salt and the rigging itself has no flat bit to get a spanner onto. Any ideas?
Brendan

G

You could try
1running hot / warm fresh water over it for a long time, drying it
2 put on some liquid wrench or WD40 or Castrol WDF soak it leave it for awhile, gently tap with a hammer,
3 repeat 2 until free

Pete

gus

www.whysuffer.co.uk
If your rod rigging and your turnbuckle are both stainless steel, it is possible that the threads in both have galled together. This is because the stainless steel is intrinsically a softer metal than we would expect with mild steel and the slightest deformation of the threads causes a general failure of the thread definition. It literally seizes together. I t will be worth trying the other suggestions first but you may have to cut the rod just above the turnbuckle, rethread it and fit a new bronze turnbuckle with an extension peice below to make up for the shorter length.