Underwater lights

Searush

back2bikes.org.uk
Hi Ken

Welcome to the forum, and thanks for posting. Sorry about any narrow-minded rudeness that's been posted in the thread; slightly my fault because I posted your picture in the first place. Your cruising adventures do sound epic - but more importantly, how do you find your underwater lights?? :D:D

Cheers
Jimmy

I suspect he only has to switch them on - they should be quite easy to find then. Welcome aboard the funny farm, Ken. ;)

wakeup

Visit site
Oh dear, 400 lumens , not worth fitting in my opinion, 1000s of lumens is really the only way. You will be very disappointed when you see a proper product like Lumishore's.

jfm

Visit site
I hope they're ok Aviator but as a matter of physics 400 lumens is a pretty small number I'm afraid. And that might be light source lumens, as opposed to fixture lumens, which is a lower number and is the universally recognised "rating" by people who want the real answer as opposed to marketing hype.

The current doesn't make sense - they are quoting 6x the current when run at 12v as compared with 24v. Doesn't seem to stack up, though it hardly matters I suppose

You mentioned pricing - actually on a lumens-per-£ measure (if there is any sense in that!) your lights are a multiple of the cost of Lumishores :eek:

Last edited:

MapisM

Visit site
Geez, did you really re-read the whole thread?
You must be more obsessed with u/w lights than those who installed enough of them to brighten the whole Med.... :D :D :D

D

Deleted User YDKXO

Geez, did you really re-read the whole thread?
You must be more obsessed with u/w lights than those who installed enough of them to brighten the whole Med.... :D :D :D
He's got nothing better to do, M

Floating Preferably

Visit site
I too was rather mystified with underwater lights, and was wondering where you get waterproof newspapers to read, but then I do enjoy watching fish, so can understand it. Not sucha daft idea maybe. Probably nice for an evening swim too. What surprised me most was the number of posts, some good banter here too , lets face it mostly an hour spent on the forum will usually be far more amusing and better than watching the TV.

jimmy_the_builder

Visit site
Looks like underwater lights is a popular subject. Need your advice, guys. I've seen a boat with colored underwater light and thought that it look pretty cool. Something similar to this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCi1B2iz5PU
Anyone know where I can get one?

Welcome to the forum. At the risk of stating the obvious - have you read this thread from the beginning?

MattNismo

Visit site
Re: Not as 'distracting' as Jack's ..

but can anyone Spot the Boat whilst JFM is away?

SMx50-Green.jpg

I've ordered something like this for my boat.
It's a rigid industries wake flame with 1440 lumens http://www.carid.com/rigid-industries/rigid-industries-marine-led-lights-12714167.html
Can't wait to get it done.

No Fuss

Visit site

Hi all, Im new to the forum. Thanks for having me
i am looking for info and so running through an old thread.

Ok I have read the entire thread, all the crap and all :-O

I want to get really bright underwater lights.
I see the Lumishore listed as the best there is, but that was couple years ago.
The brightest they have listed as surface mount is just under 4000 lumens, and i see another brand Bluefin listing 6000lumens in a 12v light and as many as 9000 if i use a converter and go 24 volts.
Now i dont want to drill any big holes in my boat, i even plan to surface mount on adapters and run wires through above the waterline if possible. I know lumishore has adapters.
has anyone even tried the bluefin lights. their figures seem ok and they claim to use the correct technology to measure lumens etc.
or is there an upgrade to the Lumis that might make them comparable or brighter.
any guidance would be appreciated

cheers
No Fuss :)

benjenbav

Visit site

The brightest they have listed as surface mount is just under 4000 lumens, and i see another brand Bluefin listing 6000lumens in a 12v light and as many as 9000 if i use a converter and go 24 volts.
Now i dont want to drill any big holes in my boat, i even plan to surface mount on adapters and run wires through above the waterline if possible. I know lumishore has adapters.
has anyone even tried the bluefin lights. their figures seem ok and they claim to use the correct technology to measure lumens etc.
or is there an upgrade to the Lumis that might make them comparable or brighter.

cheers

Seriously: you need to watch this in 720HD...to the end:

jfm

Visit site

cheers

If you want bright, you need Lumishore. Bluefin is not rubbish, but is significantly inferior to Lumishore.

The "surface mount" condition you have imposed is creating a distortion in your comparisons. Yes, one manufacturer might switch from surface mount models to thru hull models at a different lumens point, and so might have higher lumens in the their surface mount range than another, but I hope you can see that is totally meaningless. Surface mount means you drill a 10mm hole in the hull for the cable and screw the light over the hole with sealant, or a 25mm hole if its a Bluefin 9000 lumen light (that's without adaptors, which I cover below). Thru hull just has a 25mm rigid stalk going thru the hull instead, and a nut on the back, so no visible fixings on the outside, and the same sized hull hole (25mm) on a Lumishore thru hull as a Bluefin 9000 lumens. What is the point in constraining yourself to surface mount if you have a biggish boat and want brightness?

I think you are making the wrong choice in not drilling holes and then running cables above the waterline, and using adaptors that in the case of Bluefin will be nearly 25mm thick due to the catalogue gland they use, urgh. That is muddled engineering thinking in my view. You're much better drilling thru the hull and doing a proper installation job.

If you want really bright then get thru hulls and Lumishore. A top of range lumishore thru hull is far brighter than anything from Bluefin, and has slicker control

jfm

Visit site

I've ordered something like this for my boat.
It's a rigid industries wake flame with 1440 lumens http://www.carid.com/rigid-industries/rigid-industries-marine-led-lights-12714167.html
Can't wait to get it done.
MattNismo, before going to the installation trouble, please bear in mind that 1440 fixture lumens is a tiny number in underwater lighting. In the video liked to by benjenbav a couple of posts above the boat that the girls are swimming off has in the order of 75k fixture lumens in the setting used for that video

silverdee

Visit site

The Lumishores fitted to Silver Dee felt like a bit of a frippery until I found myself using them every night-- what fun for swimming/fishing/backing into berth at night and amusing the kids. Work perfectly and throw the light a very impressive distance.

Nick_H

www.ybw-boatsforsale.com

The Lumishores fitted to Silver Dee felt like a bit of a frippery until I found myself using them every night-- what fun for swimming/fishing/backing into berth at night and amusing the kids. Work perfectly and throw the light a very impressive distance.

A neat trick to impress the kids - turn the lights onto red, then sit on the bathing platform, put your legs in the water and thrash them around. It looks like you are creating fire, and seems very entertaining for younger kids like yours. Quite knackering though, so make sure they're ready to watch!

I agree they bring a whole new dimension to med boating, we've had night time assault courses over a load of inflatable toys between two Lumishore equipped boats, as well as the usual skinny dipping, fish feeding etc.