UKSA Skipper

NorthernWave

Visit site
I am thinking of enrolling in the UKSA Motor Boat Skipper course. The only thing holding me back is the cost, 8k, (must sell old boat) and the relative unknown of this course. It's brand new and the first course is happening NOW and I hope to start in January.
Anyone got any views on this 10 week course and anyone got a spare 8k kicking around??????

Chris

Relaxation starts at the pontoon gate

byron

RIP
Visit site
For 8K you could become an Ocean Master yea! even a Master Mariner as long as you have the sea-time in.

http://www.alexander-advertising.co.uk

G

I am approaching the ocean miles to be able to take my Yachtmaster 2400 needed
You have to have kept a written log for each journey with you as skipper which you have signed. I have a written log backed up by computerised log.

If you want this to be able to "skipper" other boats then surely Yachtmaster is all you need.

"The Med has got me" (no not the Medway the other Med)

sailbadthesinner

Visit site
was it uksa who it was rumoured were tyring to bring out an DOT approved alternative the rya yachtmaster coastal and day skippers??
or should i go back to bed?

Come on brain.get this over and i can go back to killing you with beer

G

Go back to bed where yer bin ?

hlb

RIP
Visit site
I'll teach you for 6 grand and give you an A.C.O.P.S Licence. You can use it anywhere.

<font color=blue>
No one can force me to come here.<font color=red> I'm a volunteer<font color=blue>

Haydn

jimg

Visit site
Yes I think you are right about UKSA, what is he trying to be qualified as? Why not sign on for evening classes for the shorebased bit and then take the practical exams.....

G

Surely someone has misread the brochure. What a weird thread!

G

what Brochure ?

jimd

Visit site
A couple of years ago an instructor told me that, with the full Yachtmaster courses, if you fail on one of the earlier parts you waste the rest of the fee.

hlb

RIP
Visit site
Re: ACOPS

Is it important! .............. College Of Profesional Skippers. I think.

<font color=blue>
No one can force me to come here.<font color=red> I'm a volunteer<font color=blue>

Haydn

trev

Visit site
Not a Master Mariner ,Byron!! Maybe get a Class 4 or 5, depending on sea time - but you can always buy a ticket from several dodgy flag states.
In my job I'm finding more and more forged or dodgy certs of competency - some issued by the various governments and some forged by employment agencies.
We now have to carry out our own examinations of proposed charter vessel officers to satisfy ourselves that they are at least some way qualified!
So watch these so called professionals - they aint always what they seem to be !!
I asked one Filipino 'Master' what the fog signal for his vessel would be and he answered 'I dont know, I've never been in fog' !!?? Another (Indonesian) proudly produced a deviation card he had made - for the gyro compass!!
No wonder we're getting more incidents like the present fuel oil tanker, although I think that one is more down to a clapped out heap rather than personnel. Trouble is the actual owner is probably buried in a web of companies and will never be made accountable.

With a bit of good fortune the oil should solidify and if it does escape should float to the surface in large lumps, which should be relatively easy to manage.
A couple of good old winter storms will take care of the rest of the mess, and although its hard on the birds its amazing how quickly the wildlife recovers from these incidents. The Arabian Gulf was awash with oil after Saddam did his nut - but it recovered within six months.
I get sick of these half-informed 'ecologists' expounding about 'terrible disasters'.

So thats me had my rant for today !!

Trev

NorthernWave

Visit site
www.uksa.org

Please take a look and tell me what you think?

AIM MYST offers an intensive training programme designed to provide all the essential skills and qualifications for a professional motor yacht skipper

Who is the course for?

Candidates looking to work as Motor yacht career professionals.

Sailing professionals looking to diversify their skills base.

New and existing boat owners/ managers wanting to increase their knowledge of handling boat systems.

Yacht crew seeking certification in line with new regulations.

Benefits

23 days practical RYA sail training leading to RYA/MCA Coastal Skipper or Yachtmaster Examinations for Motor Vessels.

Highly refined and developed course - the only one of its kind anywhere in the world, with a syllabus specifically tailored towards Captains of power yachts.

Course delivery by Senior lecturers including Master Mariners, ex-Naval Officers and Professional Yachtmaster Instructors with a rich and diverse industry relevant experience and knowledge to guide you.

A chance to experience the awesome thrills of power yachting onboard our brand new Fairline Phantom 38 with twin 370hp diesels / capable of over 30 knots / contra-rotating shafts / bowthruster / flybridge with radar for high speed nav exercises.

Develop your skills in a variety of roles enabling you to identify where your talents lie.

800nm in the course including self skippered passages + night hours.

Real time on board practice with power vessel technology, navigation and communications equipment.

Practical 'hands on' maintenance training aboard and ashore to prepare you for the industry.

Transas 5 bridge simulation technology with ARPA / ECDIS / Radar.

Yacht technology department with over £750,000 worth of high tech equipment for you to work with.

Syllabus

RYA / MCA Yachtmaster Theory Certificate.

RYA Powerboat Level 1 / Basic Sea Survival / Radar Course / Diesel Engine Maintenance

MCA Elementary First Aid / Personal Safety + Social Responsibility /Basic Fire Fighting / Approved Engineering Certificate.

Ship to shore communications practice using LR radio / Short range Radio / E-mail / Interpretation of weatherfax.

Maintenance training in pumps / hydraulics / refrigeration /watermakers / electrics / rigging / ropework / GRP / propulsion /batteries / heaters / communications / inflatable repair.

Interior care / catering / security / employment / onboard standards / hospitality.

Shipmasters business / maritime law / customs regulations / personal finance.

Ships' accounts / insurance / introduction to yacht design and construction.

Advanced navigation training with TRANSAS bridge simulator including GPS / ARPA / ECDIS radar and collision avoidance training.

Qualifications

Successful candidates will emerge with the following list of qualifications in addition to the core areas of training:

RYA/ MCA Yachtmaster Offshore Certificate of Competence*

RYA / MCA Yachtmaster Coastal Certificate of Competence

RYA / MCA Yachtmaster Shore based Certificate

UKSA MYST Course Completion Certificate

RYA Basic Sea Survival

MCA First Aid at Sea

MCA PSSR

MCA Basic Fire Fighting

UKSA Electronic Navigational Aids Course

UKSA Proficiency in High Speed Navigation

RYA Radar Course

RYA Diesel Engine Maintenance

MCA Approved Engineering Certificate (AEC)

DTI / CEPT Long Range Radio Certificate with Satellite endorsement

NCFE Professional Development Certificate for Outdoor Education

*RYA Yachtmaster Offshore Power
Please note that some pre course experience is neccessary to obtain RYA yachtmaster power award.

Thanks all
Chris

Buy my Fletcher please!!!!!

trev

Visit site
I'd be a little wary of the qualifications given by the RYA and this new mob being recognised internationally on board large yachts - its a bit like your driving instructor giving you the license !
They are of some value as they indicate you have at least made an effort and know what you are doing, but self regulation is no recommendation, as they say.
I would consider a DTI Certificate of Competency as being accepted as the international standard as this includes the necessary STCW attachment (Standard of Training and Watchkeeping).
Can any of the 'superyacht' (non-owner drivers) brigade cast any light on this ??

Trev

boatone

www.tmba.org.uk
I must admit that I am a little curious as to your ultimate intentions and whether or not this course is likely to give you the mandatory and recognised qualifications that may be needed.
What exactly do you have in mind Chris? Are you looking for personal satisfaction or a recognised qualification with a view to employment?

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.boatsontheweb.com/galleryframes.html> BoatsOnTheWeb Photo Gallery</A>