UK Driving Licences Post Brexit.

macd

Visit site

The information in that link was withdrawn in January. This one is current: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/prepare-to-drive-in-the-eu-after-brexit
(The latter seems also to contain much the same the text as you quoted, but other related information has changed.)

It also includes this, which may be of interest to those aspiring to holding two licences: "For EU licence holders who passed their test in the EU or EEA, the UK will continue to exchange their licence."

Last edited:

One A.

Visit site
From your link..

EU drivers visiting or living in the UK after EU Exit

From 12 April 2019, if there is no EU Exit deal, arrangements for EU and EEA licence holders who are visiting or living in the UK will not change.

Visitors with EU and EEA driving licences will not need an IDP to drive in the UK.

EU and EEA licence holders visiting the UK can continue to drive on valid EU and EEA licences.

EU and EEA car or motorcycle licence holders who are (or become) UK residents can drive in the UK using EU and EEA licences until they are 70 or for up until 3 years after they become resident, whichever date is the later. At this point an application would need to be made for a UK licence.

Different restrictions apply to EU and EEA lorry or bus licence holders who are (or become) UK residents.

For EU licence holders who passed their test in the EU or EEA, the UK will continue to exchange their licence.

EU licence holders who passed their test outside the EU or EEA have restrictions on licence exchange. As such, they may need to take a test to obtain a UK licence.

The UK expects drivers coming from the EU into the UK to carry an insurance Green Card, or evidence of their insurance cover.

So in other words if you are a Portuguese resident with said licence, no change.

macd

Visit site
So in other words if you are a Portuguese resident with said licence, no change.

Almost word-for-word: "From 12 April 2019, if there is no EU Exit deal, arrangements for EU and EEA licence holders who are visiting or living in the UK will not change."

This seems for the present to be unilateral. According to the same gov.uk link, there is still no reciprocal acceptance of UK licences within the EEA. Evidently green cards will also be necessary.

Last edited:

Tony Cross

Visit site
As permanent residents in Greece we're in the process of changing our licenses to Greek ones. I have been told by the police here that in Greece you are allowed to drive on a UK license for up to six months, after that you must exchange it for a Greek one.

macd

Visit site
As permanent residents in Greece we're in the process of changing our licenses to Greek ones. I have been told by the police here that in Greece you are allowed to drive on a UK license for up to six months, after that you must exchange it for a Greek one.

I'd put a rush on that if I were you, Tony. The point is at the moment of a no-deal Brexit, a UK licence will have no equivalence with an EU licence: it cannot be exchanged as of right.

This from the gov.uk link discussed above:
"If you are a UK licence holder living in the EU or EEA you should exchange your UK driving licence for a local EU driving licence before 12 April 2019. From that date, if there is no EU Exit deal, you may have to pass a driving test in the EU country you live in to be able to carry on driving there."

Last edited:

One A.

Visit site
I've no idea why you laboured the point, unless you missed this from post #21: "The latter seems also to contain much the same the text as you quoted, but other related information has changed."

My point was to those who are, or becoming a Portuguese residents and applying for a Portuguese DL, they will not be restricted form driving In the UK on a Portuguese licence, so trying to buck the system is waste of time.

love

Visit site
I think one should consult the documentation of the country you are in. For instance, for France: if you are resident in France the details will be known later; if you are visiting, you are ok during the period (you would need an international driving licence or traduction thought); if you are planning to settle, you have 1 year.

Tony Cross

Visit site
I'd put a rush on that if I were you, Tony. The point is at the moment of a no-deal Brexit, a UK licence will have no equivalence with an EU licence: it cannot be exchanged as of right.

This from the gov.uk link discussed above:
"If you are a UK licence holder living in the EU or EEA you should exchange your UK driving licence for a local EU driving licence before 12 April 2019. From that date, if there is no EU Exit deal, you may have to pass a driving test in the EU country you live in to be able to carry on driving there."

I've asked that question already. According to the police here the UK leaving the EU will have no impact on our ability to change licenses without taking a test, the same rules apply to people from Thailand or Australia (his examples). The man I was talking to is the person responsible for issuing permanent residence cards here.

In any case our applications are already in. :)

Heckler

Visit site
And if you caused you an accident, your insurance company would politly tell where to get off, I'll wager.
Ah the drinking buddy from “Carry on follow that Carmel” Fount of all knowledge! Hows Magaluf? Do you have to wear a kepi when you are with them?

Last edited: