UK Driving Licences Post Brexit.

nortada

Visit site
Understand the following is doing the rounds in Portugal:

IMPORTANT INFORMATION/CHANGES REGARDING UK DRIVING LICENCES RELEASED, FRIDAY 15 MARCH 2019, BY THE PORTUGUESE GOVERNMENT/IMT.

POST BREXIT:

1. British citizens resident in the UK, and holders of UK driving licences, can visit and drive IN PORTUGAL for up to 185 days WITHOUT an International Drivers Permit.*

2. British citizens who move to Portugal permanently to become residents will have 90 days, from the day they become resident, to exchange their UK driving licence. Failure to do so will mean taking a driving test.

3. UK driving licences ALREADY registered at IMT will still be considered third country national driving licences and therefore will be subject to third country national rules and need to be exchanged.*

4. The British Embassy confirmed with me this morning, EU (Portuguese) driving licences CAN be driven on in the UK. It is not known, at the moment, how long an EU driving licence can be used for when visiting and being driven on in the UK.*

5. An EU (Portuguese) driving licence, can be used to drive in any EU Member State.

As we do not have a car in Portugal and only rarely drive a hire car, it will have no impact on us.:encouragement:

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
Point 2 has always been the case regardless of Brexshit.

But not always enforced. We went to change our licenses a month or so ago, my wife is a citizen who has never held a Portuguese license and I took up residence quite a few years ago. The only snag was being told because of age, we have to have medicals before they could issue them so will do it when we return.

One A.

Visit site
But not always enforced. We went to change our licenses a month or so ago, my wife is a citizen who has never held a Portuguese license and I took up residence quite a few years ago. The only snag was being told because of age, we have to have medicals before they could issue them so will do it when we return.

And if you caused you an accident, your insurance company would politly tell where to get off, I'll wager.

nortada

Visit site
And if you caused you an accident, your insurance company would politely tell where to get off, I'll wager.

Unlike in the UK, in Portugal, the vehicle rather than the driver insured.

Hence hire cars are 'any driver, rather than named driver(s).

Of course the driver must have a valid driving license.

Last edited:

Graham376

Visit site
Unlike in the UK, in Portugal, the vehicle rather than the driver insured.

Hence hire cars are 'any driver, rather than named driver(s).

Of course the driver must have a valid driving license.

Not just hire cars, ALL insured cars are third party for any licensed driver and there's a fund for those hit by uninsured drivers.

One A.

Visit site
'If you are resident in Portugal and drive on a UK licence, you must register your licence with the Instituto da Mobilidade e de Transportes (IMT) within 60 days of arrival, or face a fine.

If you are resident in Portugal, you will not be able to renew a lost, stolen or expired licence with the UK Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA). It may be easier to convert your UK licence to a Portuguese one.

You can exchange an expired UK licence for up to 2 years after the expiration date. After 2 years, you will have to pass a Portuguese driving test.'

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/living-in-portugal#driving-in-portugal

Ignore it all you like. Your only insured up to the point of having an accident.

Graham376

Visit site
Ignore it all you like. Your only insured up to the point of having an accident.

I think most of us who live in Portugal are well aware of the situation. However, from my experience driving there for almost 50 years, what the law says and what happens in practice are entirely different things. Your comments about insurers is nonsense, mine are aware I'm driving on UK license and I've had no problems whatsoever with police when pulled at roadside checks. Only looking at swapping it in case Brexit happens.

DownWest

Visit site
My Portuguese ins co told me that even the bloke who nicks a car is covered by the policy.
Unless things have changed much with the EU, one always needed a medical to swop ones licence, my first was when I was 29. Once one had the local one, the medicals were every birthday with a zero, starting with 40. After 60, it went to 5yrs and 70, every two(?) yrs.
At my local Doc, he picked up a red pencil and asked what colour it was, I said green... he hoped I was joking, or he would have to fail me! (I was) Also, there was no system to allow for analphabets. Can't read or write, no licence for a car.
After I completed the paperwork and applied, the wait was around 6+months and they gave you a flimsy to show the GNR if stopped. I needed to drive to the UK and thought that the flimsy might not impress the Spanish or French police, so went to the place in Faro to borrow my UK one back. It was about 3 months since I applied. They said, wait a mo, gave me a paper to sign and produced my Portuguese licence. Since a lot of expats were waiting for theirs, they asked me how much I had bunged to get it in such a short time, since bungs were part of the system. Didn't believe me when I said nothing.

Looking at Graham's post above, back then the police def went after people who didnt bother to get a local licence. A Swedish friend was stopped and told to stay off the roads until he got one. They recognised him as a long term resident.
I neglected to get mine renewed with the medical at my 40th and was stopped a year later. You can't drive until you get it done. And, a tip, the criminal recored check is taking about 3 months at the moment. So what I am I supposed to do right now? He look up at the sky and said he couldn't see me right then. So I got back in the car and drove off.
I managed to get the criminal bit sorted with a cert from the British Consulate and went to Faro three days later to get my licence back. Guess who is at the desk? Came on the bus did you? Yes I replied, bit slow. He said that my licence was still over at the local GNR place, so come back in an hour.
DW

Last edited:

One A.

Visit site
I think most of us who live in Portugal are well aware of the situation. However, from my experience driving there for almost 50 years, what the law says and what happens in practice are entirely different things. Your comments about insurers is nonsense, mine are aware I'm driving on UK license and I've had no problems whatsoever with police when pulled at roadside checks. Only looking at swapping it in case Brexit happens.

Well you should count your lucky stars you've not had an accident whilst driving illegally.

nortada

Visit site
Not just hire cars, ALL insured cars are third party for any licensed driver and there's a fund for those hit by uninsured drivers.

As many know we don’t own a car in Portugal so my knowledge is limited to our circumstances.

Knowing how the Portuguese drive, the fund you mention is very reassuring.

On the license front, in Portugal many Brits have both Portuguese and UK residency and time share between the 2 countries but can only have one EU based driving license so currently it is impossible to meet all of the requirements to drive in both countries. However, if the UK leaves the EU and becomes a third country it will then be legal to have both a UK and Portuguese driving license, which will meet all contingencies.

Possibly, the trick is to change your UK driving license for a Portuguese one before Brexit then apply for a UK driving license post Brexit - leaving you with 2 licenses.

A Brexit Benefit❓

Last edited:

crashtack

Visit site
As many know we don’t own a car in Portugal so my knowledge is limited to our circumstances.

Knowing how the Portuguese drive, the fund you mention is very reassuring.

On the license front, in Portugal many Brits have both Portuguese and UK residency and time share between the 2 countries but can only have one EU based driving license so currently it is impossible to meet all of the requirements to drive in both countries. However, if the UK leaves the EU and becomes a third country it will then be legal to have both a UK and Portuguese driving license, which will meet all contingencies.

Possibly, the trick is to change your UK driving license for a Portuguese one before Brexit then apply for a UK driving license post Brexit - leaving you with 2 licenses.

A Brexit Benefit❓

I've just done exactly what you said. Didnt take long at all in Loule this Morning and has the benefit of being able to drive an English plated car too, as at the moment you cant drive one on a Portuguese licence. Definitely a Brexit benefit.

Graham376

Visit site
What happens to UK license when swapped in another country, do they notify UK DVLA?

I have two valid UK licenses at the moment, one which expires in June and the new one which arrived in the post this morning. The old one is supposed to be cut up and returned to DVLA, assuming I can find it. No prizes for guessing what I'm thinking:)

One A.

Visit site
What happens to UK license when swapped in another country, do they notify UK DVLA?

I have two valid UK licenses at the moment, one which expires in June and the new one which arrived in the post this morning. The old one is supposed to be cut up and returned to DVLA, assuming I can find it. No prizes for guessing what I'm thinking:)

Your Portuguese license allows you to drive in the UK, mountains out of mole hills and all that.

greeny

Visit site

Did you read my mind. He he.

nortada

Visit site

Did you read my mind. He he.

Two licenses are better than one and the GNR is never going to tell the difference between a current and expired license - or are they?

One A.

Visit site
Maybe not in the event of a no deal anymore than a british one will let you drive in Portugal without an IDP to go with it.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...al/driving-in-the-eu-if-theres-no-brexit-deal

EU driving licence holders, visiting or living in the UK after exit

After exit day on 29 March 2019, arrangements for EU licence holders who are visiting or living in the UK would not change.

For visitors, with driving licences from EU or non-EU countries like the USA, Canada, Serbia, Japan and New Zealand will enjoy the same arrangements as today. The UK does not require visiting motorists, for example those coming to the UK on holiday or who wish to drive on business, to hold a separate IDP to guarantee the recognition of their driving licence.

When non-EU licence holders come to live in the UK on a temporary basis, we would continue to recognise their licence for a period of 12 months, before requiring the holder to either exchange their licence, where agreements exist, or to take a driving test.

EU licence holders can drive on their EU licence until it expires, or until they reach the age of 70, or until 3 years after coming to live in the UK. For EU licence holders who passed their test in the EU or EEA, the UK would continue to exchange their licence as we do currently.