UK Data Sim with highest roaming data usage per month

Hurricane

Visit site
Sorry - I think I was conflating posts. I was trying to understand how in a mobile network a VPN can convince eg the tv company that the end user is in the UK, while at the same time letting the mobile data supplier know that the sim is in fact where it says it is. This is based on my profound lack of understanding about how these things work, not doubting that it does.
OK - this is possible and reasonably easy to do.
Once you have any internet connection, using a VPN, you can "tunnel" through the internet and a "reappear" in any country that you like - in this case, the UK.
There are lots of VPN companies out there that will do this - some provide a guarantee to "fool" BBC iPlayer and other UK TV providers.
One such VPN company is NordVPN.
You install the NordVPN software on your local equipment (PC, phone or router - even a Firestick) and that device will appear to the UK TV companies that it is actually IN the UK.
Thats the concept - see my next post

Bigplumbs

Visit site
Yep - but all UK deals (including Vodafone) limit you to 25Gb per month when roaming.
No notice - at the point of 25Gb, Vodafone simply cuts you off - don't ask how I know!!
Vodafone are the worst company that I have ever dealt with.
You do get a text now when approaching 25gb. I also missed that he was in Spain. Better to get a Spanish contract then use a VPN

Hurricane

Visit site
finding out what MIFI router comes with the boat and can then either enable VPN software on that or install another intermediary
As I said above, I use a more complicated x86 router but I've always wanted to play with one of these:-

iu

I've not played with one yet but, to me, it is a sexy bit of kit.
Yep sexy!!
This is their website - look under Travel Routers
Homepage
It needs further research but this is one on Amazon
https://www.amazon.co.uk/GL-iNet-GL-MT1300-Wireless-Pocket-Sized-Repeater/dp/B08MKZXGBY/ref=sr_1_3?crid=1LKT9IQ1T8IBY&keywords=GL.iNet&qid=1689783130&sprefix=gl.inet+,aps,247&sr=8-3
Or if you want their latest WiFi 6 one:-
https://www.amazon.co.uk/GL-iNet-GL-MT3000-Portable-Wireless-Cascading/dp/B0BPSGJN7T/ref=sr_1_1?crid=1LKT9IQ1T8IBY&keywords=GL.iNet&qid=1689784177&sprefix=gl.inet+,aps,247&sr=8-1

Not sure that WiFi6 is that important in this case though so the cheaper one might be more appropriate.

NordVPN seem to have instructions to install their software for this manufacturer - see here:-
GL.iNet setup with NordVPN | NordVPN support

NordVPN is a subscription service - two years for about 60 quid
Anyone wanting to buy a subscription, there are special discounts out there - just do a search for "NordVPN discount code"

EDIT
With this router, you would need a downstream connection - could be a MiFi but I would use a proper 4G router like one of these:-

D-Link DWR-921/B wireless router Fast Ethernet 4G Black 5052916748526 | eBay

Last edited:

trialframe

Visit site
I've got a 100gb BT contract with roaming & have been able to use all the data while roaming in France. Currently got 35gb left, (We're in Paimpol) renews in 10 days. Not been cut off, no email 👍

markc

Visit site
I've got a 100gb BT contract with roaming & have been able to use all the data while roaming in France. Currently got 35gb left, (We're in Paimpol) renews in 10 days. Not been cut off, no email 👍
That's a legacy contract, they're not available now. I used to have a legacy Vodafone contract but they ramped up the montly cost so much it wasn't viable to keep it.

TonyR123

Visit site
After reading the GL.iNet stuff seems pretty good! Found out that the boat comes with a Pepwave (Max BR1 I think). Looks like this has speedfusion vpn built in. Never used Pepwave before so will wait and see when I get the boat. Boat wont be in Mallorca until end of September anyway :( . Vodafone SIM contract has been cancelled though and will sort out a lobster SIM shortly.

Peterlewis321

Visit site
We use Sky Mobile. You pay a fee of £2 per day when roaming (due to Brexshit) however you can use your UK data allowance ‘unrestricted’. We have monthly sim only, 3 sim cards (boat, wife, daughter). Any unused data gets put into your piggybank and will be there for up to 3 years…..anytime you need to add some data to any sim card you just shift it from your piggybank to whichever sim you need it on. Our 3 sim cards cost c£35 total per month and we currently have over 300GB saved in our piggybank so whenever we get to Spain (our boat) we have more data than we could possibly need! It has worked brilliantly now for 5+ years.

Hurricane

Visit site
After reading the GL.iNet stuff seems pretty good! Found out that the boat comes with a Pepwave (Max BR1 I think). Looks like this has speedfusion vpn built in. Never used Pepwave before so will wait and see when I get the boat. Boat wont be in Mallorca until end of September anyway :( . Vodafone SIM contract has been cancelled though and will sort out a lobster SIM shortly.
If you are going to get a Lobster connection, you will need to be aware that they need a Spanish address.
A boat in a Spanish marina is a good enough address.
You can use either an NIE number or your passport for proof of identity.
They only deliver to that address - you can't have the SIM card delivered to the UK.
Thats the only limitation though.

terranova

Visit site
Currently have a 50GB vodafone data sim, pre all the changes with data roaming, which did not used to matter in Europe.

Am sure there must be better options BUT do need at least 50GB roaming chucked in. Has to be UK SIM so TV works same as UK (Sky, BBC iPlayer, etc). Current contract is around £65pm.

There are 3 options that I am aware of - all of which I am currently using/trying.

The most suitable for you I think would be the RWG Mobile Global SIM. This gives you 200Gb of data to use across a multitude of countries including all major European countries. There are no ‘fair usage’ restrictions in relation to EU use and it works like you would expect a UK SIM card to do (ie. you can access UK media content as if you are in the UK, without the need for a VPN). I can’t remember exactly which other countries are included, but I think there are 80 odd, including Australia, USA etc. - if this makes a difference to anyone. Best call them to clarify which countries as I can’t remember exactly.

I have had one of their Data only Global SIM cards for about 4 months now and have used it successfully in France, Italy, Portugal and Spain. Reception has been excellent all over and speeds have been equally impressive, without the throttling that my EE mobile phone SIM card seems to suffer from.

I use it in an iPad so can choose which mobile network it connects to if necessary. I normally leave the Mobile Data selector on the ‘Automatic’ setting, but sometimes changing the network does improve speeds.

They are £28 per month for 200Gb of data

200GB data only £18/month

Another benefit is that it’s a monthly contract so you can pause and restart as and when required. They are based in South Wales and the only issue I have had so far was trying to get answers to a few queries I had at the start. Their support team was very poor at getting back to me so, after kicking up a stink, the founder called to apologise for their poor response time and answered my queries.

Hope this helps.

jon and michie

Visit site
But is that more than 25Gb when roaming?
On my current plan which is 160gb month for £20 (waiting for my contract to expire then will renew next month) EE states if I was going to Spain, France or Greece - I dont lose any of my plan's minutes, Texts or Data at no extra cost as I am a pay monthly customer.

going to the states, canada, mexico, new zealand etc then I would have to buy data