UFO 34 vrs She 36

Bedlam

Visit site
There’s one in Tarbert Loch Fyne with a tiller, so it must of been a option
Yes, you could be right. I guess I am used to seeing wheels in more modern, wider stern boats and it's a bit of a contrast to those.

From what I have been able to find on line, they all seem to be wheel steering anyway.

Bedlam

Visit site
They are beautiful aren't they? I always wondered what the decks were finished with? Where SHE ahead of their times with a synthetic teak? Are these original or have they all been replaced now?
she original had the SHE deck which tended to wear out, this one has the Marine Deck 2000, looks good and is very grippy

jwilson

Visit site
she original had the SHE deck which tended to wear out, this one has the Marine Deck 2000, looks good and is very grippy
Shedeck was a slightly strange synthetic coating moulded in to the deck at build: Looked pretty good and excellent non-slip. If the boat got a lot of hard use it tended to wear out after 20+ years, but I have seen Shedeck at 50 years old a bit discoloured and crazed - though still waterproof and sound - which is more than you can say for most real teak decks.

Motor_Sailor

Visit site
There's an S&S 34 for sale at Glasson with Lancashire Boatshed.

Smaller sister to the She 36.

I think they're wanting about £10k but it has selftailing winches and Monitor Self steering gear to about that value.

Minerva

Visit site
There's an S&S 34 for sale at Glasson with Lancashire Boatshed.

Smaller sister to the She 36.

I think they're wanting about £10k but it has selftailing winches and Monitor Self steering gear to about that value.

Needs a bit of elbow polish and a few £k spent - new canvas work, re-roped and presumably a new new Genoa but someone will get a bit of a bargain with that boat.

Riggwelted

Visit site
No. The boat will be EU VAT paid and if you import it you will have to pay UK VAT. The deadline only applies to boats being returned under the Returned Goods rules - that is boats that are still owned by the person who took them out of the UK. Normally that return has to be within 3 years, but that has been extended. However, if it was originally a UK VAT paid (or deemed VAT paid because of its age) and is still owned by the person who exported it from the UK, then it may be possible for that person to return it to the UK, claim the relief and then sell it to you. Worth investigating, but everything in the description suggests it is probably Dutch owned and never in the UK.
Many thanks Tranona. That is very useful information. I was hoping to look at a UFO in The Netherlands that seemed in good condition and had a minimalist interior that I liked. However, it's not the VAT implication now that is the issue, it's that since 4th September the Dutch have placed the UK on a 'Very High Risk' Covid category and even double vaccinated visitors from the UK have to isolate for 10 days! I'll have to keep looking in the UK (which did seem to be 20% more expensive for both the UFO and SHE's I'd looked at, but actually if I then pay VAT on top then it's the same price, and no hassle of having to bring it back).

Riggwelted

Visit site
If you are budget constrained beware that you can spend a lot on old boats just to get them up to a standard that is reasonable, just on sails, rigging, water tightness, before you even get to worn out equipment, instruments, electrics and interior. I suggest that a cost comparison with a newer boat would be useful, when you see an old boat the you like. Engage the head after the heart and before you pay a surveyor.

£35-45k for a She 36, late 70's, early 80's that needs work, compared to a 2006 Bavaria 33 at £40k currently for sale at Levington Suffolk and would do exactly what you want and very likely at less overall cost. My experience tells me it is a no brainer.

I get the desire for older boats, I own a '74 launched Rival 41C, but having bought a sail away model, the subsequent spend to get it in good condition has been ridiculous. Old boats are not cost effective compared to buying newer boats and you may very well spend more time sorting stuff than sailing.
Thanks for the comment BlowingOldBoots. It's much appreciated and I'll check out your suggestions.

My previous boat was a 1956 mahogany on oak, 12 Ton Hillyard so any of these boats will be a lot less expensive to maintain! I have been closely checking the age of the standing rigging, sails, engine, and electrics (as well as the general condition of the cosmetic bright-work and furnishings).

There is something about these two IOR boats that appeals to me (especially the lines on the SHE which other peoples photo's exemplify). Maybe it's because my Hillyard had a canoe stern and these have narrow sterns. Ultimately, I like the idea of a fast sailing boat (quite the opposite of the Hillyard) that can be sailed hard with a large crew in a club race (most of the time), or taken for longer trips further afield (when time permits).

My old Hillyard with a center cockpit, rear facing wheel and canoe stern received several comments of "you've put the rigging on back-to-front!" Nothing to do with the post in general, just an anecdote!

doug748

Visit site
At the present time it would need a slice of luck for the ideal boat to crop up. Not so pretty but a Contessa 35 might be worth looking at. This one is in Plymouth and under offer; it might not be too late to check out, if only to cross it off as an option:

Contessa 35

No doubt you have seen Erik the Viking's videos:

Supertramp

Visit site
Thanks for the comment BlowingOldBoots. It's much appreciated and I'll check out your suggestions.

My previous boat was a 1956 mahogany on oak, 12 Ton Hillyard so any of these boats will be a lot less expensive to maintain! I have been closely checking the age of the standing rigging, sails, engine, and electrics (as well as the general condition of the cosmetic bright-work and furnishings).

There is something about these two IOR boats that appeals to me (especially the lines on the SHE which other peoples photo's exemplify). Maybe it's because my Hillyard had a canoe stern and these have narrow sterns. Ultimately, I like the idea of a fast sailing boat (quite the opposite of the Hillyard) that can be sailed hard with a large crew in a club race (most of the time), or taken for longer trips further afield (when time permits).

My old Hillyard with a center cockpit, rear facing wheel and canoe stern received several comments of "you've put the rigging on back-to-front!" Nothing to do with the post in general, just an anecdote!
I think you know your own mind and its well worth having a boat which gives you pride both for what it is but also what it means to you. Checking condition and costs is obviously necessary but as you say you know what's involved.

I think the She is a stunning boat and one which has that walk away/row away appeal that matters. Any idiosyncrasies of the design are part of the package and the work sorting out aging bits gives you knowledge of and a bond with the boat.

Good luck.

Tranona

Visit site
Many thanks Tranona. That is very useful information. I was hoping to look at a UFO in The Netherlands that seemed in good condition and had a minimalist interior that I liked. However, it's not the VAT implication now that is the issue, it's that since 4th September the Dutch have placed the UK on a 'Very High Risk' Covid category and even double vaccinated visitors from the UK have to isolate for 10 days! I'll have to keep looking in the UK (which did seem to be 20% more expensive for both the UFO and SHE's I'd looked at, but actually if I then pay VAT on top then it's the same price, and no hassle of having to bring it back).
Don't get hung up about having to pay VAT. Generalisation - boats are cheaper in the EU, particularly "oddball" boats like the UFO. Even common modern boats can be cheaper. I have a 2015 Bavaria 33 and I did some research on prices because I wanted to revisit the insured value. Few for sale in the UK but several in Germany. Even paying VAT on the German boats, they were asking significantly less than what I know the last 2 went for in the UK. There is a real shortage of boats in the UK of all ages and prices are rising.

The only thing that matters when buying is the cost of getting the boat in service at the location you want. It may irk to pay the tax, but overall you may actually pay less. Of course, particularly for the boats you are looking at there is wide variation in prices and conditions so not always easy to compare but the principle stands.

Good luck with your hunting.

Maxim FR11

Visit site
Reading your responses it seems clear to me you really want a She 36. Your situation not unlike mine of a few years ago. I was very sweet on both the She and, especially, the UFO 34, for much the same reasons: how it looks, how it performs, how I hoped to use it. I was selling a bilge Westerly Fulmar, looking for something a little bigger that would sail fast(er) to windward with a bit more heft and less slam in a chop. I kissed a few frogs here and abroad but ended up with an immaculate (for its '87 age) Wauquiez Pretorien 35'. Beautifully built, fast and well-mannered and, to my eye, has comparable beauty from most angles (has been mistaken for a Swan and Sweden Yacht, to my surprise). £36 k. It's true I've spent on rig, sails and prop and with an original 2003 Volvo I'm aware that an engine change is likely med-long term. Perhaps a worthy alternative if you cant find the She you are after? I'm a big fan of Erik's youtube channel (Doug 748 above) and his Contessa 35 looks a very good shout too. Comparison of the essential data puts them in the same ball park. Finally, I should add, if you are allowing yourself to think freely then the Dehler 34 is one that very much comes to mind - perhaps better availability too? Good luck with your search.