Typical point of access

loganberry092

Visit site
Hi guys,

I am currently researching the feasibility of a device that could be utilised to protect points of entry on vessels that are moored for long-periods of time.

However, I don't really have too much knowledge with regards to marine craft and boating; just how are these guys gaining access to your boats / yachts? Is it through a typical doorway or some sort of access hatch? I'm guessing the MO varies wildly from vessel to vessel?

The device I am looking at using would best suit protecting an ingress that measures no more than 4-5ft2...so a typical access hatch.

All thoughts and advice are greatly received.

Downsman

Visit site
I'm fairly confident in saying that you'll find the majority of sailing vessels are broken into via the main hatch. Many motor vessels have doors not totally unlike those normally encountered ashore. Entries via a semi flush fore deck hatch I suspect are not that common. Deck hatches tend to have good securing arrangements from inside, bearing in mind they need to be secure against the possibility of seas coming aboard.
If you're not that familiar with marine craft, then the most common main hatch arrangement is a sliding 'Lid' and one, two or more sliding fit boards which can only be removed when the hatch lid, or cover is slid forward. The problem with securing entry with this type of hatch is not only the vulnerability of a padlock to being forced with a crowbar but the area around the hatch, invariably fibre glass, which can be broached with a crowbar or (depending on the make of boat) with a large screwdriver.
Your problem will be to find a method of not just locking the hatch itself but to solve the problem of some clown wrecking the area surrounding the hatchway.
Ironically there is a boat moored not 100 metres from me which was broken into this weekend. The sliding hatch was found lying in the cockpit still padlocked to the top washboard, the hatch slides to port and starboard have been levered until the 'lid' just fell off!!