Two-tone antifouling

MikeBz

Visit site
I find it difficult when applying the 2nd coat of antifouling to see where I’ve applied the 2nd coat and where I haven’t. So this year I’m considering using a different colour for each coat (each coat requires ~2.5l so one tin per coat should work out), say black first then dark blue. I guess it will look a bit patchy if the 2nd cost starts to wear through (it will be eroding) but it might also be educational to see where it has worn through and where it hasn’t. Has anyone else done this, or am I losing the plot?

SailingDog

Visit site
I find it difficult when applying the 2nd coat of antifouling to see where I’ve applied the 2nd coat and where I haven’t. So this year I’m considering using a different colour for each coat (each coat requires ~2.5l so one tin per coat should work out), say black first then dark blue. I guess it will look a bit patchy if the 2nd cost starts to wear through (it will be eroding) but it might also be educational to see where it has worn through and where it hasn’t. Has anyone else done this, or am I losing the plot?
Hi yes I have done this for the last couple of seasons, a coat of dark blue followed by one of black it makes seeing where you have got too easier and an indication of where you might need a thicker coat.

Daydream believer

Visit site
I wrote a short article for PBO on this matter some years ago.
Apply the first coat of antifoul paint
Get a stick of chalk & cover the entire hull in lines about 15 inches apart. You can do them just along the hull, or across, it or both ways. Whatever you want. It only takes a few minutes & you do not have to be accurate. Just run random lines along the hull.
As you apply the paint you cover the lines & you can tell where you have been. You can let your roller run along side a line leaving it showing & you have a reference of where you stopped. Then on the next roller load, paint over that line to the next one & so on.

Neeves

Visit site
Its quite common to use 2 different colours.

There is always some old AF, say red, left when you need to renew. Use a different colour, say blue, as your first coat and then black as your second or final coat. When you see blue you will know next time where you might need extra AF, when you see red - its time to do the whole thing again. Most of the AF is underwater - no-one will notice.

Jonathan

The Q

Visit site
The first years was white, the second years was black, it certainly showed where the wear was on the antifouling . Not unexpectedly the leading edges of keel and rudder. This years is copper, we'll see how that fades.

MikeBz

Visit site
Have you visited SpecSavers, other high street opticians are available, recently?

I should have seen that coming. But then again...

For the last 10 years it's been dark blue on top of dark blue underneath a wide fairly flat-bottomed boat sitting on its bilge keels quite close to the ground in a corner of the yard where there isn't much light. You can't see much at all when you're on your back underneath it wearing eye protection. This year we have a 'proper' keel so there will be a lot more light, but out of curiosity to see where the wear is I'll go for two-tone.

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
I should have seen that coming. But then again...

For the last 10 years it's been dark blue on top of dark blue underneath a wide fairly flat-bottomed boat sitting on its bilge keels quite close to the ground in a corner of the yard where there isn't much light. You can't see much at all when you're on your back underneath it wearing eye protection. This year we have a 'proper' keel so there will be a lot more light, but out of curiosity to see where the wear is I'll go for two-tone.
Sounds like my old Mirage 28.

Applying antifoul was quite easy as long as you were well covered. Thankfully, I no longer have to spend a weekend before launch getting covered in the stuff.