TV's on Yachts - advice on arials?

andrewg

Visit site
TV\'s on Yachts - advice on arials?

First time for me, so please bear with me if TV on a yacht is an unrealistic aspiration.

Just bought my first yacht and tried in vain to set up a TV via shorepower using a conventional indoor arial. Couldn't get a picture and suspect it didn't like being surrounded by rigging masts etc.

Can anyone tell me what I need to do, which type of arial, where best to mount etc or will I have to resort to TV through a Laptop?

TV only for use in the marina, I am not too worried about reception at sea.

Any advice appreciated...

<hr width=100% size=1>

AndrewB

Visit site
Re: TV\'s on Yachts - advice on arials?

This problem is quite commonly raised - do a search across all forums on 'TV reception' for a number of threads.

Everyone seems to find a different solution. Having failed with a masthead omnidirectional active ariel I rearranged my berth to be on the side of the marina closest to the transmitter, and mounted a directional exterior caravan ariel on top of the harbour wall, which worked reasonably well. Quite a few liveaboards here use satellite ariels, often on shore rather than the boat.

Another solution I found was to go and anchor outside the marina. No problems once away from other yachts.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Talbot

Visit site

I have not done this myself, but understand that the best way to get a picture is via one of those free to view boxes. Personnally dont think there is enough worth watching on free tv to make the effort, thus take a handful of books instead. Alternatively you could take DVDs.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Robin

Visit site

We couldn't get TV on the laptop to work reliably, kept freezing the screen. We have a 15" LCD set and get excellent results using a small cheap B & Q loft aerial stuck into a coachroof winch socket and pointed in the right direction. We sometimes use an indoor amplified aerial but in marinas there are too many masts for this to work well, elsewhere it is fine. Are you in a bad reception area?

<hr width=100% size=1><font size=1>Sermons from my pulpit are with tongue firmly in cheek and come with no warranty!</font size=1>

MASH

N/A
Visit site

Aren't yachts there so we can get away from that damn idiot box?

Please keep the volume down if you moor anywhere near me!!

(standby for suitably ascerbic reply from Captain Submarine!)

ps Ian I'll let you see my dictionary...

<hr width=100% size=1>

Robin

Visit site

Could I see it too, 'cos I'm lost here...

<hr width=100% size=1><font size=1>Sermons from my pulpit are with tongue firmly in cheek and come with no warranty!</font size=1>

pragmatist

Visit site

We use an omni0-directional aerial like those you see on the top of caravans (wash mouth with soap after using that word !). Only put it out when we need it and find we have to move it around according to how we're moored and which channel.

But it does enable us to watch the rugby on winter afternoons !

<hr width=100% size=1>a pragmatist is an optimist with a boat in the UK