TV Aerial

CAPTAIN FANTASTIC

Visit site
I will be installing a small LCD TV on the boat his year to watch when on mooring, and I am thinking of using a TV aerial like the ones used on Motor-homes and caravans; they look like a disc. What is your experience using this type? What is the best TV aerials for a yacht?.

philip_stevens

www.celticwebdesign.net
I've had an Omnimax Maxview TV aerial with amplifier on my last two boats, and never had a problem picking up a tv signal. The digital signal is picked up no-problem.

In fact, the ferry Scillonian III has one of these up the mainmast!! I relocated it from a small pole on the after-deck. When the signal is lost from the Sennen transmitter, it can then pick up the signal from St.Marys.

GrahamM376

Visit site
I use a Status omni directional and just tie it on top of the boom when needed. Works great on digital and analogue and can be hauled up on line when it needs to be higher. Just haven't got around to mast mounting!

Playtime

Visit site
I've got one of the Glomex ones. Not sure which model as there are several similar 'discs' available.

It is mounted on a 5' pole at the stern and generally gets an excellent (digital) picture, especially anywhere in the Solent where it is more or less line of sight. However, if I was fitting one again I would get it as high as possible (masthead ideally) to give it the best chance in marginal reception areas at low water springs. ;)

beyondtheblue

Visit site
I've had an Omnimax Maxview TV aerial with amplifier on my last two boats, and never had a problem picking up a tv signal. The digital signal is picked up no-problem.

+1 for the above. Ours is inside the cabin and still works well.
DSC_0018-1.jpg

Grumpybear

Visit site
We have a masthead mounted Status which works very well indeed. It's absolutely vital that you use the best quality cable and connectors (as few as possible) and pay close attention to their assembly. it's amazing how easily water can get inside the cable, and then you're stuffed!

Croc

Visit site
I have a new boat with a factory fitted Glomex...bloody useless....picks up very faintly two analogue stations.

Bilgediver

Visit site
I've got a Glomex V9125 fitted to the top of my mizzen mast and would rate it as very poor and disappointing.

With or without masthead amplifier? You get nothing for nothing and these antennas are pretty basic and so will not compete with a good directional antenna in weak signal areas.

Playtime

Visit site
My Glomex has the amplifier and gain control... but it is still has pathetic performance

Is the Gain control working?

I use mine with a set top (digital) box and get perfect reception in the Solent. It is a bit rubbish on analogue, but never use it that way.

It is not so good in marginal reception areas but maybe the other options would be the same.

It would be interesting to compare the different products in the same area and with the same height of antenna. Maybe one for YM in a slack month? :D

Croc

Visit site
It might be the area because although my Glomex is very poor a friend passing through Port Solent with a similar system told me of excellent reception on his boat.... another example of the unfair non-egalitarian advantages of the Solent area.... it will all change when the Big Society gets a grip.

TrueBlue

Visit site
It might be the area because although my Glomex is very poor a friend passing through Port Solent with a similar system told me of excellent reception on his boat.... another example of the unfair non-egalitarian advantages of the Solent area.... it will all change when the Big Society gets a grip.

Exactly; it all depends where you are.
The advantage of all the Omnidirectional aerials is just that. The downside of which is that by looking everywhere, they are prone to interference from other sources. Not so much a problem in strong signal areas, but in poor.....

These units are relatively expensive, so a waste if they don't give you what you expect. If you are likely to resent the £60+ cost of failure, might I suggest you consider a log periodic type of aerial (about a tenner plus VAT from CPC)? They are flat (no large reflector arm), but still long-sticky-out-things, hence not suitable for leaving up all the time.

You'll also need a signal amplifier (you can get 12V versions for around another tenner, or less). Don't buy the amplifier version of the antenna above - unreliable.

Total cost around £30.

I have / had an Omimax and found it very variable, then moved up to a full size domestic unit - slightly better. Best of all was the log periodic, and much easier to mount and store.