Turkey or Montenegro for time out in EU

atol

Visit site
Excellent information ,are there town Quay livaboard positions or all wintering in marinas ?
i only have contacts in corfu,kastilhorizo,finike and kas,but all seem to be under a similar regime,which is shelter in place onboard and no movement between locations

Chris_Robb

Visit site
Slight problem as you well know I have been involved in Greece for 25 years and do most thing the Greek way... I live for free in Lavrio and Porto rafti. Haven't seen a receipt in years !
Just go to the local port police and ask them to just issue you with a letter with a big stamp on, but may be bit late now unless they know you.

Mr Cassandra

Visit site
i only have contacts in corfu,kastilhorizo,finike and kas,but all seem to be under a similar regime,which is shelter in place onboard and no movement between locations
Sorry I am looking for general info regards staying 90 days out of Greece . Something that makes a 90 day winter period inevitable in Turkey or Montenegro/ Albania .
Southern Turkey would obviously be a warmer choice climate wise ,but, concerned political situation.

rib

Visit site
Sorry I am looking for general info regards staying 90 days out of Greece . Something that makes a 90 day winter period inevitable in Turkey or Montenegro/ Albania .
Southern Turkey would obviously be a warmer choice climate wise ,but, concerned political situation.
If you leave Greece for Turkey. And want to go back to Greece you may have a problem?

Irish Rover

Visit site
First of all I don't think there is anything for visiting yachties to be concerned about from a political or security viewpoint. I know the foreign media coverage of Turkey can be a bit unsettling but the reality is completely different. I hope others who are based here will confirm my opinion.
I don't know about the winter situation but in my experience in summer town quays are not that cheap here and overall marinas are probably better value. Most marinas accept liveaboards, officially or unofficially. There are plenty of very safe and sheltered anchorages along the coast as well.
Big issue at the moment, as I mentioned previously and also mentioned by rib is that return to Greece from Turkey is currently prohibited. Hopefully that will change in the summer.

Mr Cassandra

Visit site
First of all I don't think there is anything for visiting yachties to be concerned about from a political or security viewpoint. I know the foreign media coverage of Turkey can be a bit unsettling but the reality is completely different. I hope others who are based here will confirm my opinion.
I don't know about the winter situation but in my experience in summer town quays are not that cheap here and overall marinas are probably better value. Most marinas accept liveaboards, officially or unofficially. There are plenty of very safe and sheltered anchorages along the coast as well.
Big issue at the moment, as I mentioned previously and also mentioned by rib is that return to Greece from Turkey is currently prohibited. Hopefully that will change in the summer.
Thanks i will take a very close look

rib

Visit site
Explain, what are C19 measures?
Under the guise of cov 19. No boats from Turkey have been allowed into the Greek Islands / Greece (even the ones a mile or so of mainland Turkey) no ferries or even gulletts. As far as I am aware.. Been cruising the Turkish coast for last two years. Also the school boy politics may have some thing to do with it ? ?

Chris_Robb

Visit site
Under the guise of cov 19. No boats from Turkey have been allowed into the Greek Islands / Greece (even the ones a mile or so of mainland Turkey) no ferries or even gulletts. As far as I am aware.. Been cruising the Turkish coast for last two years. Also the school boy politics may have some thing to do with it ? ?
Didn't recognise C19!
I disagree, Turkey has a high rate of C19, and there reporting had also been deliberately misleading. No other yachts in Greece are allowed to move AT ALL.

Irish Rover

Visit site
Didn't recognise C19!
I disagree, Turkey has a high rate of C19, and there reporting had also been deliberately misleading. No other yachts in Greece are allowed to move AT ALL.
There certainly was an issue in late summer with the basis on which Turkey was counting and reporting new cases. However that was changed back in October at the request of the WHO and since then WHO has said they are happy that the method of reporting is in line with what is happening in the rest of Europe. Back in November/December the daily positive cases were around 33,000 and now the average daily figure is below 8,000 [6,670 yesterday]. As you would expect the higher toll of cases is in the big cities Istanbul, Ankara, Izmir etc. The reduction in cases over the last few months has been achieved by introducing strict measures. All restaurants, bars, cafes are closed except for take-away and delivery. We have a curfew every night from 21.00 until 05.00 and every weekend from 21.00 Friday until 05.00 Monday. Over 65's [10.00 to 13.00] and under 20's [13.00 to 16.00] are only allowed out for 3 hours per day. Masks are obligatory at all times outside your own home and there are hefty on-the-spot fines.
Vaccination is moving along nicely now with over 2.5Million people vaccinated up to last Saturday and, subject to getting supplies, there is an excellent infrastructure in place to facilitate a speedy rollout.
Probably the biggest plus for Turkey is our excellent health service. Even when cases were at their peak we didn't have a shortage of hospital beds or ICU beds as happened in many European countries.
Greece has done a fantastic job of protecting its citizens and has to be complimented on that, and long may it continue. However as rib said there is certainly a political element at play in blocking arrivals from Turkey when you consider that tourism from other European countries with much higher levels of C19 was allowed to continue. That said Turkey is not shy about playing politics itself in its dealings with Greece or other countries.

Reactions: rib

Chris_Robb

Visit site
There certainly was an issue in late summer with the basis on which Turkey was counting and reporting new cases. However that was changed back in October at the request of the WHO and since then WHO has said they are happy that the method of reporting is in line with what is happening in the rest of Europe. Back in November/December the daily positive cases were around 33,000 and now the average daily figure is below 8,000 [6,670 yesterday]. As you would expect the higher toll of cases is in the big cities Istanbul, Ankara, Izmir etc. The reduction in cases over the last few months has been achieved by introducing strict measures. All restaurants, bars, cafes are closed except for take-away and delivery. We have a curfew every night from 21.00 until 05.00 and every weekend from 21.00 Friday until 05.00 Monday. Over 65's [10.00 to 13.00] and under 20's [13.00 to 16.00] are only allowed out for 3 hours per day. Masks are obligatory at all times outside your own home and there are hefty on-the-spot fines.
Vaccination is moving along nicely now with over 2.5Million people vaccinated up to last Saturday and, subject to getting supplies, there is an excellent infrastructure in place to facilitate a speedy rollout.
Probably the biggest plus for Turkey is our excellent health service. Even when cases were at their peak we didn't have a shortage of hospital beds or ICU beds as happened in many European countries.
Greece has done a fantastic job of protecting its citizens and has to be complimented on that, and long may it continue. However as rib said there is certainly a political element at play in blocking arrivals from Turkey when you consider that tourism from other European countries with much higher levels of C19 was allowed to continue. That said Turkey is not shy about playing politics itself in its dealings with Greece or other countries.
Bit Like France's attitude to the UK:mad:

rib

Visit site
Bit Like France's attitude to the UK:mad:
On my own experience. Having befriended a local top doctor as of today numbers are falling. In regards foot falls In their hospitals. (which may soon change as of mutations) and I know of no cases personally. Here I'm am enjoying 2x bbq per week. 3x table tennis sessions per week. One Turkish lesson per week (not much going in).. I have watched the news 3x a day from lots of different sources. Ie UK. USA. Abricic. Europe. Turkish. And look for a trend which gives me a rough picture what's happening. If you go by the media UK is all food banks. Bad weather. Nutty politicians. Stabbings. Brexit woes. Etc etc. Probably not the real picture ???

Mr Cassandra

Visit site
Slight problem, when my 90 days stay is up what do you suggest we do ,as the Greek state/port police are inposing total lock down and no movement of pleasure sailing vessels ?

Irish Rover

Visit site
Slight problem, when my 90 days stay is up what do you suggest we do ,as the Greek state/port police are inposing total lock down and no movement of pleasure sailing vessels ?
It seems strange to me that they are able to prevent foreign citizens leaving Greece and taking their yachts with them. Might be worth talking to the authorities and/or the British embassy and suggest they either give you an exceptional extension on your visa, or temporary residency or let you leave Greece with your yacht.