Turkey or Montenegro for time out in EU

atol

Visit site
Atol - are you saying the UK is in the wrong over this? and that we deserve to be a paria? Just because we had the only government in the world that poured money into several different vaccines and came up trumps - when Euroland took 3 months to try to beat down a price which the company was giving on a no profit basis..... They have just pointed to the way the run the shop - Bullying...What bloody shits they are - we are well out of it!
What i think does not matter,it is what the mob thinks if you are singled out as the cause of their problems,ask any jew,muslim or american caught in the wrong place at the wrong time

Irish Rover

Visit site
Nothing to do with the UK.... Just the typical french attitude which originally sparked the bloody revolutions..!
Perhaps Atol is right.... apologies for taking sides here!
I don't think I'm on any particular side here except, possibly, the side of reason. Anyway, it seems the event you mention wasn't aactually in retaliation for any UK government policy which was the point I was making in #13.

Mr Cassandra

Visit site
Possible Actions....
1. Ask the immigration officials if the clock has stopped running on the 90 days - as you are unable to travel.
2. Get you Transit Log and then get your passport stamped as crew. You have to sleep on board. This is under the international shipping conventions, and one of the approaches the CA is putting to the Greeks - as its simple, and already exists in Greek law.
Look at this link - where a USA Yacht has done it.
Getting "stamped" in the Greek Transit Log
IMPORTANT. If you are a VAT Paid vessel and in Free circulation - Get your letter from the Yard that you were there on 31st Dec 2020. Then, taking all your proof of VAT Payment to the Customs - you ask (and insist) on an "UNLIMITED" Transit Log. I think Corfu is used to this, but no idea about Prevessa if you are there. If they call head office they will be told they can do this.

Then tell us how it feels like to be a guinea pig..... Several Aussies already do this so it should work.

Do email me if you have any issues as this is a critical time to make sure we get what is right....

Slight problem as you well know I have been involved in Greece for 25 years and do most thing the Greek way... I live for free in Lavrio and Porto rafti. Haven't seen a receipt in years !

Tranona

Visit site
I'm not aware of this. Sounds interesting. Post a link if you have one.
Not a link. But p8 PBO September 2007 (I was reading this issue because it has a test of the hybrid Lagoon 420) headline

"Yachts held hostage in Brittany ports".

Just one of many such incidents in the period. Nothing to do with the UK. Report says Finnish, Australian and NZ boats also involved, but managed to break out. Just an example of the common French "workers" strategy at the time if they had a grievance. A few years earlier I got stuck driving from La Rochelle to Nantes airport by farmers blockading all the roads including the motorway with their tractors, ploughs etc. Still the preferred French way of of airing grievances as M Macron found out in 2019. They tell me M Macron is also influential in EU circles.

Irish Rover

Visit site
Not a link. But p8 PBO September 2007 (I was reading this issue because it has a test of the hybrid Lagoon 420) headline

"Yachts held hostage in Brittany ports".

Just one of many such incidents in the period. Nothing to do with the UK. Report says Finnish, Australian and NZ boats also involved, but managed to break out. Just an example of the common French "workers" strategy at the time if they had a grievance. A few years earlier I got stuck driving from La Rochelle to Nantes airport by farmers blockading all the roads including the motorway with their tractors, ploughs etc. Still the preferred French way of of airing grievances as M Macron found out in 2019. They tell me M Macron is also influential in EU circles.
Yes I do recall this. I believe it was a protest about fuel prices in France so nothing whatsoever to do with the UK, as you say. Anyone overly worried about the risk of such incidents would be well advised to confine their boating to their local river or lake.

atol

Visit site
Yes I do recall this. I believe it was a protest about fuel prices in France so nothing whatsoever to do with the UK, as you say. Anyone overly worried about the risk of such incidents would be well advised to confine their boating to their local river or lake.
During the lead up to the first lockdown there was a case of a Falmouth yacht that crossed the bay and anchored in St Maws,when they tried to go ashore they were verbally abused and threatened with violence if they landed !
All they wanted was to buy food at the local Spar shop.

The veneer of civilization can become very thin in times of economic and social stress.

Irish Rover

Visit site
During the lead up to the first lockdown there was a case of a Falmouth yacht that crossed the bay and anchored in St Maws,when they tried to go ashore they were verbally abused and threatened with violence if they landed !
All they wanted was to buy food at the local Spar shop.

The veneer of civilization can become very thin in times of economic and social stress.
I would definitely stick to my local river, if I were you or better still don't go out at all. Much safer.

Irish Rover

Visit site
So you don't think Brits will get victimised when the UK variant sweeps through Europe,or indeed the world?
No definitely, I do. I'd get off the internet if I were you as I'm sure they're trying to scope out your location as we write. In the meantime, back in the real world, this is not what this thread is about.

atol

Visit site
No definitely, I do. I'd get off the internet if I were you as I'm sure they're trying to scope out your location as we write. In the meantime, back in the real world, this is not what this thread is about.
well you did bring up the question of security in the first place!
if you think ,apart from covid, that the biggest drop in GDP since the second world war in most countries will not have an effect on security,then perhaps it is you that does not live in the real world,trying to be polite here,but during my 2 circumnavigations i have always tried to be aware of possible threats to the well being of myself and my crew and not put ourselves at risk from civil unrest,or natural disasters etc

your quote
I'm curious why the political situation in any country should be of interest to a cruiser. Obviously we all need to be aware of the security situation in any country we visit but, subject to that, I'd be inclined, as a guest, to keep my opinions to myself and steer clear of politics. As a long time resident I'm happy to assure you about the security situation in Turkey. I doubt I could feel safer in any country in the world.
There is no restriction on yachts arriving in Turkey at present (apart from the usual arrival formalities) but Greece is not admitting yachts arriving from Turkey and that is likely to continue until the covid situation stabilises.

Irish Rover

Visit site
Why are you rude to other posters , found you helpful in the past . Is everything okay?
As far as my replies to atol are concerned I'm simply fed up with people continuously scaremongering. While I appreciate I'm being dismissive I wasn't intentionally being rude. I was trying to be helpful to you and I apologise if it came across otherwise.

[3889]

Visit site
I kept my boat in France from 2013 until last year and there was, beyond doubt, a distinct cooling of the French attitude towards the Brits following the Brexit vote. Only one specific instance of open hostility, about which I've posted on here before, when 2 drunken fishermen in L'Aber Wrach became very aggressive towards me and, where it not for the presence of my Irish crew, whom they greeted warmly, I have no doubt things would have been a lot worse.

atol

Visit site
So little up to date information on wintering in Turkey on the Internet , everything at least 2 years + to 7 years ago
check here for latest info and regular updates
Coronavirus (COVID-19): Special Procedures Being Introduced in Ports of Entry Worldwide | Noonsite
Montenegro | Noonsite
Turkey | Noonsite
  • From December 30, 2020, all tourists arriving in Turkey (including those arriving by yacht) must submit negative PCR virus test results taken at the latest 72 hours before arrival in Turkey.
  • If arriving with no test results, or results older than 72 hours, a 7 day quarantine procedure will be applied.
  • An agent is required while in quarantine to provide provisions and supplies.
  • Online results are accepted in Finike port – so you can take the test and then set sail if this is your destination.
  • This rule will be valid until 1st March 2021.
Information from Finike Yachting Agency.

Mr Cassandra

Visit site
check here for latest info and regular updates
Coronavirus (COVID-19): Special Procedures Being Introduced in Ports of Entry Worldwide | Noonsite
Montenegro | Noonsite
Turkey | Noonsite
  • From December 30, 2020, all tourists arriving in Turkey (including those arriving by yacht) must submit negative PCR virus test results taken at the latest 72 hours before arrival in Turkey.
  • If arriving with no test results, or results older than 72 hours, a 7 day quarantine procedure will be applied.
  • An agent is required while in quarantine to provide provisions and supplies.
  • Online results are accepted in Finike port – so you can take the test and then set sail if this is your destination.
  • This rule will be valid until 1st March 2021.
Information from Finike Yachting Agency.

Excellent information ,are there town Quay livaboard positions or all wintering in marinas ?