Turkey - 90 days ...

dgadee

Visit site
I am in Lesvos on an annual contract ending next June and am a 3rd country person. I plan to do a few weeks in Turkey next Spring and had thought about moving boat over there for an annual contract after my current contract ends. However, I believe that Turkey works the 90/180 day rule, too (from my initial research)? More than 90 days requires a residence visa?

Would I be better, perhaps, staying in Lesvos for another year and oscillating between the two countries? That was my original plan due to Schengen but I didn't look into Turkish requirements. With Turkish entry and agent requirements I have been thinking it could perhaps better to be based there instead.

Or is Turkish residence trivial? I don't want caught up in tax matters as I intend to remain in UK for 7 or 8 months of the year.

What do Brit Turkish berth holders do?

Irish Rover

Visit site
It is indeed 90/180 on a tourist visa but if you have an annual marina contract then you will be entitled to apply for a residence permit. However if you're only planning to spend 4/5 months in the med then you hardly need a residence visa in either Greece or Turkey as you can spend 2/3 months in each. Your Setur contract gives you good flexibility coming to Turkey (though I heard somewhere that they may have or plan to reduce the 30 days in each marina to 7 - not sure about that so you'd best check).

dgadee

Visit site
Yes, that was my original plan but sitting in Mytilini looking across at Turkey made me wonder whether I should move base. I'll leave things till next year and see what we think of Turkey. Crew thinks Lesvos has too much wind.

Irish Rover

Visit site
Yes, that was my original plan but sitting in Mytilini looking across at Turkey made me wonder whether I should move base. I'll leave things till next year and see what we think of Turkey. Crew thinks Lesvos has too much wind.
Yeah that part of the Aegean is definitely more windy than mid Aegean. I'm in Kuşadası and it's not anything as prone to wind as further North around Çeşme. I wouldn't particularly recommend Setur Kuşadası at the moment as they're starting a huge shopping centre construction project in the marina. They say it'll take 3 years and there's huge disruption and dust. There are a lot of Brits in Setur in Kaş and in Finike and they might be better options for now.

dgadee

Visit site
Did some more research. Turkey residence permit for tourists looks the way to go, I think. Forget the EU with their 90 days!

TSailors

Visit site
AFAIK, you can just leave the country for a day to reset the 3 month limit.. At least that's what we used to do many years ago. We used to take the ferry to Chios GR every 90 days.. Check, they may have changed the rules.

Irish Rover

Visit site
AFAIK, you can just leave the country for a day to reset the 3 month limit.. At least that's what we used to do many years ago. We used to take the ferry to Chios GR every 90 days.. Check, they may have changed the rules.
They have. It's definitely a max of 90 days in any period of 180 days now if you're on a tourist visa.