True design Hose tails.

Laysula

www.stevehuntdrivinginstructor.co.uk
Boats out of the water for antifouling etc and I am changing the seacocks as the originals are a bit suspect. I have bought True design with 90 degree hose tails. How do I get the hose tail to point in the direction that I want? Do I use washers , ptfe tape or what?

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
Traditionally you would change the point at which the thread started by cutting the tail don't know if you can do that with the ones you have.

White_Belle

Visit site
When I installed ours we used a sealant on the threads and just wound them in to the correct spot. Obviously a dry run is required to count the turns

bignick

Visit site
Watch the instructions on Trudesign’s website.

You can either use pipe cord or a flexible setting sealant (they recommend Loctite 5331) and let it set. You can buy backing nuts if you like but they aren’t essential. If you use Loctite then apply liberally and leave it at least 48 hours before you touch it. I didn’t and had to remove the tails and install them again. I also gave them a good clean with acetone and a brass wire brush the second time to make sure the Loctite adhered to the plastic properly.

Poey50

Visit site
Loctite 5331 gives the perfect amount of manouverabilty (rotation) when wet. Once dry it doesn't move unless a lot of force is applied.

dankilb

Visit site
As above ^ the loctite product (not an engineering thread locker as sometimes confused) worked for us to ‘clock’ the valves easily and securely. One leaked slightly and required re-sealing with a more liberal amount. I’m sure other products could achieve the same. Without a backing nut you can get the valve closer to the skin fitting - helpful as these are often bulkier than the metal ones they replace.