Trouble with nuts....

Col

Visit site
Re: DO NOT try Halfords

Hilka = not bad.
Halfords stock Sykes Pickavant which is very good, hence more £££££.
Yer pays yer money, and yer takes yer choice!

PS you will probably find your steering wheel is keyed on, careful not to lose woodruff key.

boatone

www.tmba.org.uk
Re: Keeping the wheel...............

...even if I have to change the bloody boat again to get the old wheel off!
Naah...no way I'm going to let a little prob like this stop me getting there.
I shall consult my friendly chandler who has a nice little workshop and I'm sure we will resolve the situation withour me needing to buy new socket sets etc. Had already considered punch and hammer approach in last resort but feel sure a little ingenuity will get me there. I will post a picture of my nice new teak wheel in due course! Thanks to all for ideas...as I said earlier I did wonder if I might be looking at some sort of standard fitting here but it would appear that the spindle is the standard and the hub/nut arrangements vary enormously. Certainly the new wheel has a much bigger recess around the nut so no probs there I hope! Amazing how a little topic like this threw up over 20 posts - must have been a quiet evening yesterday........

TonyR
boatone@boatsontheweb.com
www.boatsonthethames.co.uk

BarryD

Visit site
Re: Keeping the wheel...............

If you have no luck with your friendly mechanic Tony I've got a couple of bits of metal that might help;-

1. "Modfied" four position adjustable wrench, I had to cut the heads down that they could get in a tight hole in the Stag. It has been heat treated so a still pretty strong.

2. One size fits all socket - bought from TV advert as all my socket sets lose the 13mm straight away and I can never find one big enough. Amazing tool not sure it is really practical!

Other options are to cut the wheel away as no body is going to want a metal wheel in the UK. Err... apart from Rinker owners who seem to have them as standard <G>

Barry D

tcm

Visit site
crappo box spanners from a bicycle shop are what you need.

I can come down to the boat and oops accidentally drop the new steering wheel into the river if you want, then you can go mad, then I'll buy you a drink to say sorry.