Trouble with nuts....

boatone

www.tmba.org.uk
Having indulged myself and bought a really upmarket teak steering wheel went down to the boat yesterday to fit it only to find that there's no spanner in my collection that will get inside the hub of the existing stainless steel wheel on my Princess 32. The nut I need to remove is recessed well inside the hub and probably needs a box spanner. At first I thought a plug spanner might get there but not big enough for the nut. Had to leave eventually and felt the existing wheel was having a bloody good laugh at me whilst the nice new wooden one was left languishing for another day.
Today went to the 'Chatham' boat jumble and hoped to find the right tool but no luck and a couple of stalls with every tool under the sun said 'box spanners in short supply guv'.
The fitting is standard 3/4" taper with single nut. Anyone know what I need and where to get?

TonyR
boatone@boatsontheweb.com
www.boatsonthethames.co.uk

coliholic

Visit site
Might as well sell the new wheel then. Put an ad on the For Sale forum, should get a tenner for it as long as it's real teak and not plastic imitation;-)

boatone

www.tmba.org.uk
No bloody way......the stainless wheel is already up on the for sale forum so I suppose I'd better add 'buyer to remove from vessel' .....yep thats a good idea.
Incidentally Colin.....saw some wizard new chemical stuff at the boat jumble called Aquaholic....dunno wot woz in it or wat it wos for tho.... any ideas?

TonyR

Col

Visit site
Proffesional (spelling?) quality skt sets are thin walled and should fit, the "chocolate" skt set from your local market, has thick walls to make up for lack of strength in cheapo metal that they are made of.
What size nut is it?

Freebee

Visit site
If you can find a socket the right size for the nut. Grind the outside diameter until it fits the hole.
Or the butchers route take small punch and hammer and drive the nut in the undo direction with punch.

boatone

www.tmba.org.uk
Aaaaah....now that may be helpful. Not sure of exact size of nut - cant really get at it to measure accurately but I would say about 25mm across the flats.
I really need to address the issue on a more scientific basis but asked the question in case there was a standard size/spanner combination that someone might know.
My friendly local chandler may well have the right tool when I call him tomorrow. Asked the yard yesterday but got ' sorry, engineers not in today and cant get into their toolboxes'.
Anyone else go to the boat jumble at Paddocks Wood today?

TonyR

BarryH

Visit site
Re: Boat Jumble

Ha! boatjumbles, only the english will spend all day looking at crap then buying it. Dont go looking for something you'll never find it, just go and have a mooch, get an overpriced grease burger and tea, have another mooch, then go home with things you really didnt want any way.

One of the only jumbles worth going to (IMHO) is Beulieu. seems that you get a wider veriety of things you dont really want. I Picked up a generator there a few years ago, did'nt need it but its come in handy

longjohnsilver

Visit site

But look at it from the other side of the fence, a great way tro sell of that accumulated boating junk, someone somewhere will want a nice surplus to requirements teak steering wheel!

burgundyben

Visit site
Doubtless BarryD will call me boring again, but here goes, two other reponses are spot on, cheap sockets are thicker to account for being made of softer material hence have cheaper manufacturing processes. Expensive sockets are thinner.

I suggest, cheap socket, rest gently on the support of a bench grinder and rotate carefully (please get an adult to help), dont burn your fingers when it gets hot.

Is the shaft tapered? If so you might need a puller to get the old wheel off, if this is the case you might find a thread inside the steering wheel boss, DO NOT DAMAGE IT.

PS SOLTRON.

paulrossall

Visit site
Re: DO NOT try Halfords

Get down Argos and buy a heavy duty Hilka socket set for £19.99. They are Chrome vanadium and I have just dismantled the front wheel asembly on my Volvo useing a 2 foot drive bar to move hard-on nuts and sockets didnot move at all. In my simple terms that means sockets are strong.

byron

RIP
Visit site

Boat Jumbles are wonderful, especially Beuliue (sp?), you mooch around buy loads of crap to take home and put in your shed. Then a year later you get the stuff out and to your delight re-sell it at half of what you paid for it. The most astute businessmen lose all their acumen at Jumbles.

ô¿ô