Trip to St Pierre Pill

graham

Visit site
Just back from a sail up to St Pierre.

Locked out at low water yestertday,scraped the bottom NE from the Cardiff north buoy.not serious but a wake up call to concentrate on the passage ahead,

with a fresh NW giving me a beam reach to Portishead,got there too early so dodged about a bit killing time ,Tekter passed me headed for Pill,if anyone knows the owner I have 3 or 4 good pictures if they want them.
SP1.jpg

Anchored for coffee outside Portishead then headed off up under the bridge.Wind now northerly and kicking up a slop against the tide /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif.
SP4.jpg

Once under the bridge sailed through a weird whirlpool then took the cowards way in to the pill leaving Charston Rock to port and coming back over the sand bar.

Entering the Pill.
SP7.jpg

Had a quiet night on the pontoon dried at about half tide in soft mud.
SP8.jpg

Very slow drift/sail back today motored the last 5 miles.
SP11.jpg

Locked back in as the breeze picked up .
SP12.jpg

Didnt meet anyone from CDYC at the Pill and couldnt be bothered walking up the pub so enjoyed the solitude and a couple of beers on the boat. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

graham

Visit site
Thats my second St Pierre visit someones built another big bridge up there since our first visit. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Your right that the passage up river is more daunting than it really is if you pick your weather. I wouldnt fancy being in the "Shoots" or Slime Road in a strong wind over tide situation.

I think its the fact that you cant turn back until the tide lets you that makes it worrying. (Unless in a fast motorboat)

wotayottie

Visit site
It gets lumpy with wind over tide but the worst bit is just this side of the old bridge so it only affects you if you are going up to Thronbury or Lydney. Standing waves!

You can leave St Pierre an hour before HW from memory - thats what the PCC boats used to do when they were regular visitors to Chepstow. And of course the old trows used to sail through the shoots at low water.

Q

quimby

Visiting St Pierre is not so daunting, Time your arrival as near to HW as possible. It takes 1hour to navigate the Shoots from Portishead. At the top of the Shoots the swirling waters may half spin your boat, so keep your engine runningready for use.
Its quicker to to leave Charston to Stbd, as you just sail straight into the Pill. Going the outer way means you will have to sail/motor against the tide, As you approach the Pill you will see the leading marks on the shore keep in line and as the Pill opens up and you can see the Pontoon turn into the Pill and head for the pontoon to tie up.
Nice photos Graham, I have pmd you.

graham

Visit site
I was tempted to take the short cut behind Charston Rock but wasnt sure how far to stbd to leave the rock without getting too close to the rocky foreshore?

PS I didnt receive your last PM.

Q

quimby

Yes, The same , access to the Pill is a 10 minute walk over 3 fields and the main railway line. pm me if you require more info.

Wai_Tapu

Visit site
Hi, Tekter is a fellow member of PCC, and just returned from a few months summer cruise to France and points south. I'm sure he'd be delighted (as we all are) to have some good pics of his trusty boat. Perhaps you could email them to me and I'll pass them on. richard.atkinsonREPLACEmail.com where REPLACE is, guess what? @

Cheers and keep taking them pics. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif