Trim ram hydraulic lines through transom. DPG DPE

BruceK

Visit site
Ive loosened and removed the nut from inside the transom shield. Hose fitting seems stuck inside transom. A good few wallops with blunt cold chisel and 2lb hammer but it is not budging. Does it screw out from the outside? The replacement hydraulic line would suggest not. Any ideas?

BruceK

Visit site
Thanks for the confirmation VP. :encouragement:That's what I have done but didn't want to give it too much welly in case I had missed something and created a problem. Weetabix for tomorrow it is.

BruceK

Visit site
BTW I really take my hat off to you marine engineers. I have spent the last 16 days contorted into every conceivable angle wirh sharp points digging in soft places. I have had to fight back panic twice on getting stuck when my rib cage slid over some hump preventing backing out. I hurt every where and am exhausted. You do this for a living? Id need to go on a perpetual diet and develope the physique of a bantam weight boxer if my boat layout is anything to go by.

Greg2

Visit site
BTW I really take my hat off to you marine engineers. I have spent the last 16 days contorted into every conceivable angle wirh sharp points digging in soft places. I have had to fight back panic twice on getting stuck when my rib cage slid over some hump preventing backing out. I hurt every where and am exhausted. You do this for a living? Id need to go on a perpetual diet and develope the physique of a bantam weight boxer if my boat layout is anything to go by.

+1
I spent this afternoon trying to fit an autopilot drive. Replacing a pin took I don’t know how long as I struggled to remove a split pin that was holding it in place. It was behind one of the engines and on the underside of the ram so I was working by feel and one or two iPhone photos. The air was blue and I got to the point where I was thinking that it was impossible, so what was I going to do.

I rallied and with a pair of slim/pointed molegeips I prevailed!

The only saving grace is that the engine bay on our S34 is probably the most spacious that we have had, but even so I am bearing the scars of the afternoons work and when I finished I was knackered.

What a feckin’ shenanigans! :)

Last edited:

stelican

Visit site

Sounds like your going to need a bigger boat as Quinte said

stelican

Visit site
+1
I spent this afternoon trying to fit an autopilot drive. Replacing a pin took I don’t know how long as I struggled to remove a split pin that was holding it in place. It was behind one of the engines and on the underside of the ram so I was working by feel and one or two iPhone photos. The air was blue and I got to the point where I was thinking that it was impossible, so what was I going to do.

I rallied and with a pair of slim/pointed molegeips I prevailed!

The only saving grace is that the engine bay on our S34 is probably the most spacious that we have had, but even so I am bearing the scars of the afternoons work and when I finished I was knackered.

What a feckin’ shenanigans! :)

Come on man up!

oldgit

Visit site

Simple solution as you slap on the "Ralgex" , rearrange the following words..... Aftssh. :):):)

Last edited:

Seastoke

Visit site
Come on man up!

F you didn’t eat all my barbecued food and drank my beer ,you would be able to get in such places,SS

BruceK

Visit site
F you didn’t eat all my barbecued food and drank my beer ,you would be able to get in such places,SS

Getting to all the usual service bits are easy enough. It's when you have to do anything on the transom shield it's really an engine out jobbie. As that is not possible for me until long after the season starts I have no option but to wedge myself in and evolve an additional pair of elbows.

ZPb9wvS.jpg

Anyway

Once again thank you VolvoPaul. Weetabix for breakfast and a bit more gusto the hydraulic line came out. :encouragement:

Replaced it and what do you know.....

It wasn't my old line leaking, it was my brand new ram. So spent the day removing the ram again. Nothing ever goes right with boats does it? I also suppose now that it has been filled with oil (although removed now) I will have my work cut out trying to return it. C'est la vie. What doesn't kill you makes you stronger (and in this case poorer)

vas

Visit site
you definitely need a larger boat Bruce...
I can spent a couple of hours happily between the two engines (around 60cm width) and an hour between engine and hull say 50cm width at the bottom 70cm on top but lower (fixed ceiling) so you end up folded in two.
while you're at it, make sure:
A. it's not V8s
B. there are no side diesel tanks

OTOH, you have massive space at the front for the belts, mine is 20cm max to the diesel tanks!
You must have excellent haptic capabilities to work like that in the blind, and I guess telescopic arms with multiple adjustable elbows...

V.

BruceK

Visit site
:D Vas it's amazing how dextrous you can become threading bolts at awkward angles, blind, and at full reach. All you have to do is drop them a couple times into the bilge sump and spend a couple hours with a magnet on a long piece of wire before you realise they are stainless steel. Then dismantle more engine bits so you can get your hand down. Then learn to pick them up between pinkie and ring finger because that is as far as you can reach. You only have to slip a ring spanner off a stiff bolt a couple times and smack your knuckles with all your strength released into something hard and sharp before you learn by feel if the spanner is indeed snug and you are pulling or pushing at the correct angle.
Like I said, Marine Engineers. Hats off, it must be a hard way to make money.

simonfraser

Visit site
Getting to all the usual service bits are easy enough. It's when you have to do anything on the transom shield it's really an engine out jobbie. As that is not possible for me until long after the season starts I have no option but to wedge myself in and evolve an additional pair of elbows.

ZPb9wvS.jpg

Anyway

Once again thank you VolvoPaul. Weetabix for breakfast and a bit more gusto the hydraulic line came out. :encouragement:

Replaced it and what do you know.....

It wasn't my old line leaking, it was my brand new ram. So spent the day removing the ram again. Nothing ever goes right with boats does it? I also suppose now that it has been filled with oil (although removed now) I will have my work cut out trying to return it. C'est la vie. What doesn't kill you makes you stronger (and in this case poorer)

holy cr@p Bruce, you replaced your trim rams behind that lot ??!!
recon there is a job out there for ya :)

BruceK

Visit site
Noooo. Im broken after a fortnight. For the first time I am looking forward to returning to work tomorrow and not going to the boat.

moresparks

Visit site
Hi, I hope you don't mind a slightly different tack; I have the earlier SP-A drives so apologies if this is irrelevant. I had a similar problem and was about to condemn the Rams. In preparation, I was in the process of soaking the whole area in penetrating fluid in readiness to remove all the "bits" when I found a minute air bubble from the steel connecting tube end fitting. This was noticeable when I moved the piston end. The fitting was over-tightened at some point - I replaced the connecting pipes and this cured the problem. Maybe worth a check.