Trident 24 - any good?

bob26

www.tridentlottie.com
Transatlantic Trident

I have just read an account by David Rudling who crossed the Atlantic to St Lucia in a Trident 24 called Dawn Treader (formerly Quintet). His route (Southampton, Plymouth, La Coruna, Vigo,Madeira, Las Palmas, Mindelo, St Lucia) amounted to 4,715 miles. He spent 1,129 hours (47 days) at sea and averaged 4.2knots over the whole journey (100 miles a day).

There is now an outline of David Rudling's Atlantic crossing on the Trident Owners Association website here:

http://www.trident-owners-association.co.uk/cruising.html

If you want to read the full account (.pdf file about 650kb) PM me ( before Sunday night as I'm away from Monday) and I'll send it to you.

Kittyhawk

Visit site
There is now an outline of David Rudling's Atlantic crossing on the Trident Owners Association website here:

http://www.trident-owners-association.co.uk/cruising.html

If you want to read the full account (.pdf file about 650kb) PM me ( before Sunday night as I'm away from Monday) and I'll send it to you.

This was a really impressive achievement for a 24 footer like this. Anybody know of any others like it in a Trident?

bob26

www.tridentlottie.com
This was a really impressive achievement for a 24 footer like this. Anybody know of any others like it in a Trident?

Laurie II (a triple keeler belonging to Mark Waddams) entered the last Jester Azores Challenge but had to retire in the Bay of Biscay due to self-steering failure. Ozama (centreboarder) was abandoned mid Atlantic after her rudder failed - Trevor Wilson was luckily rescued by a freighter bound for West Africa. There are many crossings of Biscay and trips to the Med in Tridents (though usually through the canals).

Ubergeekian

Me: Castle Douglas, SW Scotland. Boats: Kirkcudbri
www.drmegaphone.com
It depends on how competent and confident you are to do your own assessment. However there is always the question of the insurance, because the Insurance Company may well insist on a survey anyway, bummer really.

I wouldn't bother with comprehensive insurance on a sub-£3000 boat, and thirty-party insurers generally don't seem bothered about surveys.

oldharry

Visit site
I wouldn't bother with comprehensive insurance on a sub-£3000 boat, and thirty-party insurers generally don't seem bothered about surveys.

Not sure I agree with you there. Comprehensive Insurance is not all that expensive - I pay £180 a year for mine, no questions asked about the condition of the boat. There IS a sting in the tail: the policy demands that I have made 'every effort to keep the boat in seaworthy condition'. How do you define that? In the event of a loss, the Insurers will send their surveyor in with the specific intention of proving the boat is NOT seaworthy, so that they do not have to pay out. This is not speculation, it actually happened to me when my boat was sunk at its mooring we think by another boat coming down on it during a severe storm. The surveyor founbd a fault in the steering gear (which I knew about, and was making arrangments to get sorted). Because the boat was still on its mooring it was deemed 'unseaworthy' - no claim. See you in court. I could if necessary nowadays get the yard boatbuilder to give his 'opinion' of her conditon, as evidence of compliance.

So is it worth it? Well, could be if you some thieving barsteward kids gets aboard and do a lot of damage, sen that happen too, thankfully not my boat: some kids got in and used it as a drugs and drinking den; mess, urine and faeces everywhere.

Glynny

Visit site
Hi Bob

I have recently become a TOA member and have bought a Trident 24 which I~ am currently refurbishing.
I would like a copy of the Y&Y sail test if you still have this facility.
My email is - glyn.inspireone@live.com

Many thanks

Glyn Trident 24 (215.)

PhyshBourne

Visit site
the week after the next week i'm going to see a trident 24 – which i think i might buy if it is in a good condition.
are there any problems with the trident 24 i should be aware of?

V1701

Visit site
Last edited:

oldharry

Visit site
Tridents are very solidly built, and you will very rarely find even a badly neglected one that has any serious structural problems. Look for signs of dampness in the main bulkhead where the deck to hull moulding is joined. This is evidence that the joint has failed. Rare, but probably the biggest job on a Trident apart from re-engining. Check also the tops of the bilge plate housings under the saloon berths. One or two have started to rust the bilge plates inside the housing, which splits the GRP. Again a biggish job, but not so difficult as to be not worth doing. Worn rudder bearings can be easily dealt with. The originals were tufnol inserts, which are half a days work to replace, as long as there is a crane or hoist to raise the boat high enough to release the through hull rudder. Windows in the earlier boats are beginning to have problems with seals failing. Again not disastrous, but a biggish job which should reflect in the price of an otherwise good boat. Otherwise look for the usual ills of any boat of this age: tired rigging and sails, reliable engine properly serviced etc, evidence of botched repairs to damage etc. Electrics sound, good battery? Seacocks all free to move (there are normally four on a Trident: 2 in the loo, one for the galley sink, and the engine cooling water inlet. Through hull fittings (log, echo sounder etc often fitted beneath the floor in the forecabin) all good? Osmosis doesnt seem to be an issue on these boats, and they are so solidly built that it would have to be very severe before structural integrity was compromised. I never heard of one needing osmosis treatment.

Before you go to view the boat, look up the Trident Owners Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/trident24/ Lots of useful advice, and members keen to advise and assist. The Trident Owners Association also has a website which gives access to a wide range of information (some of it members only) http://trident24.com/. If you join TOA (tenner a year) you get access to records of virtually every repair that's ever been done on a Trident along with a range of useful, not so useful and sometimes downright strange modifications people have done over the years! Tridents have a fine track record both cruising and racing, and even today are still competitive at Club level (The original, sail No 1 actually acheived a whole seasons racing unbeaten a couple of years ago). Hope to see you on the FB Site soon! JR. Commodore TOA.

Last edited:

PhyshBourne

Visit site
thank you very much indeed!
right now i still own a kingfisher 20+ – but the journey continues, and a slightly bigger boat cannot hurt, can it?

unfortunately and strangely the fb–page isn't visible for me…

Visit site
Old thread Resurrection, sorry.
We just bought a Trident 24... The odd thing is, our moorings are on the site of the old yard they were built on. Tnere has to be some poetry in that, left in 1968, back here in 2017

Seajet

Visit site
A friend of mine has a bilge keel Trident 24 ( to be pedandtic not twin keel as she has a central ballast keel with side plates as stabilisers for drying out ) - I have been very impressed by her - a good roomy interior, as mentioned very robustly built and she sails better than any triple keeler ought to manage - top boat ! :encouragement:

Robin

Visit site
Old thread Resurrection, sorry.
We just bought a Trident 24... The odd thing is, our moorings are on the site of the old yard they were built on. Tnere has to be some poetry in that, left in 1968, back here in 2017
I had a triple keel one in the 1970s called Chuvoso, home built unbelieveably by original owner to Lloyds 100A1 and kept in class many years. Had a Volvo md1 diesel, dreadful engine, but we sailed that many many miles between Poole France, channel Isles, west country and Great boat but after our last family ( 2 kids 1st wife and dog)trip Poole to Helford and return ALL done upwind we decided to upgrade to a fin keeled boat preferably one with a bigger better motor too. Bought a Liz 30, called Callisto of Parkstone, great boat in all weathers, (especially really rough and windy ones) upwind which guaranteed all trips for many months thereafter were made with a 'free' wind,didn't have a big engine ( 10hp Bukh) mind but never needed it The Trident still has a place in my heart.

Visit site
this one is a fin keel, with a lovely little yanmar installed. It is 75% restored, just needs top coat and putting back together/rigging. Frees us up to do something really daft with the Listang.

MOBY2

Visit site
Well done and welcome to the club, sure you won't be disappointed if you haven't already join the owners association they are great for all things Trident, keep us posted on how your getting on and hopefully next year with it being the TOA 50th anniversary next year we can get a few members together for a meet up somewhere, good luck with her.