Travelling Light

themount2

Visit site
Over Easter we undertook our first cross channel Gosport to Cherbourg and back (eventually). SHMBO learnt the important lesson that the 3 & 1/2 wardrobes she enjoys in our detached 3 storey Georgian house will not fit into the confines of a 34' yacht. She had been told but as usual seemed to know something we didn't! We made the mistake of specifying "1 sailing bag only" which, bless her, she conformed to. What we failed to specify was no additional rucksacks, carrier bags, toilet bags and all the other baggage women seem to have a knack for filling when they are away from home for more than 4 hours!!

It was encouraging when she reported overhearing in the showers 2 of the racing set discussing super small and absorbent travel towels. (I am talking bathing towels by the way!!).Such a wonder product would represent a small but significant step on the road to reducing the load on our already stressed boat and I would appreciate any info on where they can be obtained. Indeed anything on other similar "travelling light" ideas would be useful.

I hasten to add that "5 packs of condoms instead of the usual 10" would not be terribly relevant to the cause!!! - why is it Sailbad comes to mind at this point?

<hr width=100% size=1><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by themount2 on 29/04/2003 08:57 (server time).</FONT></P>

Twister_Ken

'ang on a mo, I'll just take some bearings
Visit site
Half a solution

Just mention that the French have got marvellous shops, and clothes are so cheap over there that she must make sure to leave room in her gear to bring back some trophies. At least you'll have more room aboard for the outbound leg of the trip. And if you could contrive to leave the plastic money in the boot of the car...

OTOH, there a plenty who find room to stow several dozen cases of wine on the return trip from France, so do you have ulterior motives in posing this question?

<hr width=100% size=1>

Visit site
These are basically modern chamois leathers, made of man made super absorbent material, they are superb for washing yachts down bit not sure I would be keen to dry off with one and when my wife read on the packaging about swimmers using them she burst out laughing, so probably not a good plan. You'll be taking lawrie Smith's example next, apparantly he insisted all his crew on the Whitbread cut their toothbrushes in half to save weight!

<hr width=100% size=1>

tcm

Visit site
You can bnuy the tiny towels at places like Field and Trek. But you are a long long way from needing these. In fact, the way things are going at the moment, i bet it will be you that uses the light towels to make way for more of her stuff.

First question of course is - does she actually bring down nice stuff? Sometimes its nice to have one person making an effort even thought the others look a bit of a state on day three.

However, if she has a really bad case (no pun intended) then consider just dumping one or two of here bags over the side of the pontoon on the way to the boat. Of course, you can fish it out again. But she won't bring down a load of nice clothes again. And of course there no prob if your spares clothe also go over the side, as you can buy another two pairs of socks anywhere. Failing this, get some of her clothes and wipe down the engine withem and teller you urgently needed a cloth, thoiugh this is less easy to disguise as an accident.

hope this helps

<hr width=100% size=1>

tcm

Visit site
Not at all. The boat is named after her! So of course wiping down the engines is vital maintenance, and what better garment than a lineny or silky blouse, nothing is too good for Diana.

<hr width=100% size=1>

themount2

Visit site
Some of you got lucky..... I just got mine!!
Anyway, Cruella wouldn't know Scuttlebutt if it was written in 20' high letters on the back of the Normandie Ferry.
She likes sailing about as much as she likes the thought of me going off on my own. Does anybody know what I mean?

<hr width=100% size=1>

Laurin

Visit site
Encourage the lightweight towel... at least she's thinking about it now. (You can buy in Millets, but go for the softer more expensive ones, and make sure it is XXL).

Next look at the toilet bag. Find out what stuff she uses and buy the equivalent in tiny bottles/travel pack. Ensure buying exactly the same make etc and get brownie points for buying her a present. Anything that she has multiple colours of (eye stuff etc), get her to choose just one or two.

Clothes is the difficult part. Try to convince her that only one set of clothing required for sailing as nobody else will see that she is wearing the same thing every day. Then one skirt/trousers for shore + 1 top per day ashore. Take her shopping an buy her nice new pair of 'convertible' fast drying trousers to reduce need for lots of changes in the kitbag.

Next try to convince her that she shouldn't take more than she can carry just in case bad weather forces a foot passenger trip home on the ferry.

It is possible for women to travel light. I took my mum on a 3 day walking trip and we took 1 25litre rucksac between us!

<hr width=100% size=1>

claymore

Visit site
Loved the comment on TV last night - Murphy's Law after he'd been kicked in the nuts 'aaarggghh - take away the pain but leave the swelling.
Always thought your boat was named after a Leopard, strange name for a wife.

<hr width=100% size=1>regards
Claymore
/forums/images/icons/smile.gif

jimi

Visit site
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.allgadgets.co.uk/ag/product.asp?dept_id=9&pf_id=AG3838>Light Towels</A> I got some of these and they're good!

<hr width=100% size=1>

jimi

Visit site
Who called her that? Was it her parents or it just a little pet name between you? If the latter is it because she wo'nt play after 3?

<hr width=100% size=1>

qsiv

Visit site
Last weekend whilst seeing my mother (without SWMBO I hasten to add), we were discussing the naming of boats after wives or girlfriends (but never as far as I am aware after both).

"In that case", pipes up Mother in one of her sharper moments, "you should name your next boat Manatee". She then swept out to make another pot of tea.

<hr width=100% size=1>

sailbadthesinner

Visit site
Re: Gosport to cherbourg

have to say i bought one of those towel things from a camping shop (cannot rememebr the make)
i found it an unedifying experience. I think if you are compromising by using some dodgy french shower block let her wrap herself up in a proper towel.Tell her to lose a few clothes.
donot suggest she cuts down on the makeup. i still have the scar from that one.

I resent the condoms remark. i use a spinnaker sock /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

<hr width=100% size=1><font color=red>I can't walk on water, but I do run on Guinness</font color=red>

themount2

Visit site
Re: Gosport to cherbourg

No offence intended, but your response does tend to prove my point and explain the remark in the first place. As I have said before on the forum - but you may have missed - your posts never fail to raise a smile and I thank you for them.

<hr width=100% size=1>