Travel Portugal to UK Restricted

RAI

Visit site
It seems the politicians make these decisions to sound like they are doing something, but don't provide the man-power or infrastructure needed to enforce their new rules.

nortada

Visit site
Bit of a joke when UK has more Brazil variant cases than Portugal. We can fly back via several other countries but the contact tracing form, if filled in correctly, will tell them where we've come from. If lies are told and someone caught then there will no doubt be a large fine to add to the hotel bill. If the rules say we can go back without having to pay for hotel then we will, otherwise we'll just stay here and not get the vaccine for a long time.

Likewise. If possible would like to be back in the U.K. by the end of April.

Mais de 160 mil pessoas vacinadas em Portugal

Well they appear to be making a better fist of it than the rest of The EU.

Last edited:

Sailfree

Visit site
When I drove back at Xmas UK passport at Portsmouth wanted to see the online tracking form and prefer a paper copy rather than hand over your mobile.

I did isolate but was disappointed not to receive any check up phone calls. Not that it would have bothered me but it indicated a lack of enforcement.

Personally I believe 99% of Corona transmission is sharing the same air/room. No contact - no transmission.

Having built clean rooms for vaccine production and seen films of contamination from people not fully gowned up and wearing face masks influences my opinion.

Quiddle

Visit site
I did isolate but was disappointed not to receive any check up phone calls. Not that it would have bothered me but it indicated a lack of enforcement.

I got a call on day 10 of my 2nd quarantine but they didn't ask me any questions, not even if I was at home at the time. Just reminded me of quarantine requirements and Covid behaviour guidance. Bit of a waste of time all round, really.

Sailfree

Visit site
I got a call on day 10 of my 2nd quarantine but they didn't ask me any questions, not even if I was at home at the time. Just reminded me of quarantine requirements and Covid behaviour guidance. Bit of a waste of time all round, really.

I do wonder if they do a check with mobile phone company as to where your phone is geographically. POlice certainly can.

RAI

Visit site
You might think that 22 billion track/trace/isolate contract might have a bit of room for calling the quarantined. but no, they are doing, what, instead?

shan

Visit site
We got back from Portugal (Faro to Bristol) on the 10th of January. Drove home to Wales and self isolated for 10 days. On the evening of day 10, we received a call from Public Health Wales saying that they understand we are back from Portugal and that we could get a Covid 19 test on day 7 :rolleyes:, we explained, we were already on Day 10. The lady then said she thinks that PHW might want us tested and that she'd speak to her supervisor and call us back. Half an hour later, she rings back and says her supervisor has referred it up to the 'Director' of PHW and could we please isolate until we are called back the next morning. I said fine. The next morning we get another call saying they definitely want us tested, which I agreed to (not that I think I had much choice). This meant our isolation was to be extended until we received a 'negative result'. She asked if we could drive, which of course we can BUT my car's MOT had expired whilst we were in Portugal (flight cancellation & rebooking to blame) and Mr Shan's MOT had expired a few days into our self isolation, so, we couldn't take the cars for their MOT.... so they sent out a team to test us that afternoon. Results came 48 hours later: Negative. Apparently, they were testing us because of the presence of the Brazilian variety and Brazil's links to Portugal. I would have thought they would have been better off testing for antibodies to see if we had had it. Through the whole debacle we both stated we were both in good health with no symptoms.

Sailfree

Visit site
OK, so we're now on the red list and subject to hotel quarantine. It's quite possible to fly back to UK via other countries not on the list but, how long would we have to spend in that country before still being counted as arriving from Portugal?

I think you have to seriously consider that over 100,000 people have died in UK due to contact with people that thought they did not have the virus.

The rules are there to try to prevent the spread by people who do not know they have the virus.

My understanding is that with Covid you do not know you have it for 1st few days but its that period when you feel OK that you are spreading the infection. When you finally suffer from it you tend to flat out in bed and in my kids cases struggling to even go to toilet without help.

Your call but I respectfully suggest you reflect on any way to break quarantine rules.

I personally think people should ask themselves would they do any action if they risked the resultant charge being attempted murder!

When I drove back before Xmas even though there was no lockdown , I decided not to stay a few days with friends in Brittany, to fill up at self service garage, to stay overnight in a hotel with no staff - just a machine for reception and paid extra for a cabin on ferry so I had no contact with anyone for 2 days and limited all contacts for 10days before travelling. I then self isolated in UK and did not visit new grandson for 10days.

My Ex was not so careful and achieved an R number of 12 giving it to 2 of my children's families. All adults and 1 grandchild suffered enough to be bedridden. Rest of grandchildren hardly suffered at all. Fortunately none ended up in hospital but Ex still has lingering Covid health problems 1 month later.

Don't like preaching to others but suggest you think about it.

Last edited:

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
Your call but I respectfully suggest you reflect on any way to break quarantine rules.

Bear in mind that anyone flying will have to have a negative test anyway. I am not suggesting anyone to breaks the rules, just trying to understand them. It's a ridiculous situation if anyone arriving in the UK from an acceptable country where they may only have spent an hour for flight transfer doesn't have to quarantine. There must be guidelines somewhere about when someone is deemed not to need quarantine. Should we for instance spend 10 days self isolation in Spain or another country not on red list before flying on to UK to keep within the spirit of the law?

RAI

Visit site
Bear in mind that anyone flying will have to have a negative test anyway. I am not suggesting anyone to breaks the rules, just trying to understand them. It's a ridiculous situation if anyone arriving in the UK from an acceptable country where they may only have spent an hour for flight transfer doesn't have to quarantine. There must be guidelines somewhere about when someone is deemed not to need quarantine. Should we for instance spend 10 days self isolation in Spain or another country not on red list before flying on to UK to keep within the spirit of the law?
I think one should just follow the rules or at lease their intent. Get tested, really self isolate, two weeks and your done.

RAI

Visit site
My thinking is that before returning, 10 days off season in say Spanish accommodation is a hell of a lot cheaper than being locked up in a UK airport hotel on arrival.
Spain is locked down too. In Ayamonte, we are not allowed to enter or leave the town, and there's a 10 pm curfew. I fetched SWMBO from FAO on Sunday night and got caught by two nice young policemen, who let us off with a warning.
So I don't think two weeks in Spain will hack it. Spain is red too. SWMBO had a recent negative test for the flight and had filled in her PLF correctly. I had neither, but got away with it. It did help that we are from Belgium, and one of the coppers had worked there for several years.

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
Travel across the border still permitted for repatriation but a bit pointless when Spain also locked down as not much chance of getting accommodation there.

I fear this is a sign of the future at least for this year, cases here multiplying fast and so may who haven't been vaccinated will allow spread and mutations which most likely the vaccine won't stop anyway.

nortada

Visit site
My thinking is that before returning, 10 days off season in say Spanish accommodation is a hell of a lot cheaper than being locked up in a UK airport hotel on arrival.

What a good idea.

A 14 day free holiday in the daughter’s empty house in Ayamonte then fly back from Saville into another 14 days self-isolate at Walton.

What’s there not to like❓

Thanks Graham

Sailfree

Visit site
Bear in mind that anyone flying will have to have a negative test anyway. I am not suggesting anyone to breaks the rules, just trying to understand them. It's a ridiculous situation if anyone arriving in the UK from an acceptable country where they may only have spent an hour for flight transfer doesn't have to quarantine. There must be guidelines somewhere about when someone is deemed not to need quarantine. Should we for instance spend 10 days self isolation in Spain or another country not on red list before flying on to UK to keep within the spirit ojif the law?

I think you will find that the tennis players that went to Australia were tested for Covid and were negative so could travel but were still (to their annoyance) required to isolate for 10 days.

I believe a number of these have now developed Covid while in isolation. It appears you can test negative prior to actually developing the disease.

Trouble with Covid is short on hard facts and everyone is erring on the side of caution.

nortada

Visit site
Travel across the border still permitted for repatriation but a bit pointless when Spain also locked down as not much chance of getting accommodation there.

I fear this is a sign of the future at least for this year, cases here multiplying fast and so may who haven't been vaccinated will allow spread and mutations which most likely the vaccine won't stop anyway.

What to do❓

Are you going to head back to Faro and the boat❓
Mind you Faro is now bit of a hotspot for Covid. From what I am seeing, the further you get east along the Algarve, the larger the number of cases of Covid.

Believe Portugal has given 1/4 million jabs (1in 40 of the population or 2.5%) but I have yet to meet anybody who has had one.

l understand they intend to offer everybody in the country the jab free. Very sensible but how do they hope to get to those visitors, not in the health system but travelling on an EHIC❓

Last edited: