Torquay Marina Visitors

tompyn

Visit site
A friend has just gone over to Torquay Marina from Brixham to spend a night and was informed that there are no more visitor berths and he should ring a day before to see if any residents berths are available, so be aware if your thinking of visiting Torquay, says a lot for our 15 free nights on any MDL marina.

Nick_H

www.ybw-boatsforsale.com
Commercial marinas don't much like visitor berths 'cos they only get used 2 days a week plus a few peak summer weeks and bank holidays, but residential berths generate income every day of the year. If they tried to charge enough to make the visitor berths make the same return as the residential we'd be paying 100 quid a night for a 40 footer.

penpal

Visit site
I have just posted a message as I was thinking of visiting this summer. I am berthed at Hythe opposite Southampton, this is an MDL. They say we get up 15 days a year free moorings at other MDL marinas. I have never used this before but it looks like there could be problems with this idea.

S

Skyva_2

If Torquay is full you could try Brixham, a much nicer place IMHO. There is a visitors' pontoon which can get full in the summer, but the staff are very helpful and will fit you in if possible; usually at least some residents will be away as well.

BG1

Visit site
I guess it's always a good idea to check before you leave that there is a berth for you, but don't forget it's still early in the season and more residents will be out in the summer. The 15 free nights are subject to availability, usual MDL getout clause, but I've never had a problem.

whisper

Visit site
Called in at Brixham last week and tied up to the Vis. Berth to eat our sarnies. An official appears, to tell us that in fact we were liable for an £8.50 berthing fee as soon as we tied up. He let us off , however, and we ate up and left, sharpish. Seems a bit steep.