Torpoint YH

dk

Visit site
Anyone know what this place is like? Was thinking of taking a swinging mooring for the summer.

Poey50

Visit site
Anyone know what this place is like? Was thinking of taking a swinging mooring for the summer.

I took a mooring at Torpoint for a summer a couple of years back. Good value on the trot moorings (this was for a 22 footer) and included a free hourly trip out to the mooring on a big rib driven by one of the most constitutionally miserable people you are ever likely to meet. Never failed to cheer me up. :D

doug748

Visit site
The mooring below is worth knowing about but not suitable unless you have a bigger boat, as smaller moorings are not so hard to find in the area.

Probably your cheapest option are moorings operated by one of the clubs. Mainly trots at Saltash (Cornish side) and Tamar River (Devon side). With swinging moorings at Torpoint (Cornish side). These are probably half the price of the commercial ones you are considering.

See here, only a good bet over 30 odd ish foot though:

http://www.boatsandoutboards.co.uk/Anchorage-buoy/near-cremyll-river-tamar/165727

Picks

Visit site
I have a swinging mooring just up river of the chain ferries. As mentioned above free use of an hourly water taxi big enough to carry loads of equipment and helpful staff there. Can get a bit rolly when the big tugs go by with the RN ships following but at least security is good with the police patrols on the water. Plenty of day sailing opportunities depending on wind and tides with Fowey to the west and Salcombe to the east. Or if you short on time River Yealm or Kingsand within a couple of hours from Torpoint.

JohnGC

Visit site
We have just moved to one of their moorings in the Edgecombe pool and used the taxi service for a day sail for the first time yesterday.

It wasn't a busy day at Torpoint, although there was plenty going on in the river. Taxi service was all we could ask for; as advertised, comfortable and the operator was very friendly. I don't recognise Poey50's description "constitutionally miserable people" at all. So far all of our dealings have been with enthusiastic, friendly, pleasant people.

If you do take up a mooring at Torpoint (or anywhere that involves frequent crossings of the Torpoint ferry or Tamar bridge). Then consider getting a Tamar tag.
http://www.tamarcrossings.org.uk/index.aspx?articleid=49629

John

Last edited:

Poey50

Visit site
I don't recognise Poey50's description "constitutionally miserable people" at all. So far all of our dealings have been with enthusiastic, friendly, pleasant people.

Er .. you have (accidentally I hope) misquoted me. I refer to a driver of a few years ago whose misery was oddly cheering. He's a one-off and probably long gone. Your quotation marks frame my comment as applying to others which was clearly not my intention.

JohnGC

Visit site
Er .. you have (accidentally I hope) misquoted me. I refer to a driver of a few years ago whose misery was oddly cheering. He's a one-off and probably long gone. Your quotation marks frame my comment as applying to others which was clearly not my intention.

I wondered if that might be the case. But since yours was the only post to comment on any of the staff's attitude, I thought it worthwhile adding a current observation.