Topsail / Y Insurance

longjohnsilver

Visit site
We have been insured with Y for quite a few years, Y has now been sold to Topsail. We have just realised that our insurance ran out 3 days ago and we have not had a renewal note from Topsail. Having just phoned them they confirm that they somehow missed sending it out! Needless to say I’m not impressed, and even less impressed that our premium has increased by over 50% in 2 years, even though we’ve had over 30 years of continuous claim free boating.
I guess we should have been more aware of the renewal date, but we have ALWAYS had a renewal reminder on all our different boats weeks before the renewal date.

I have contacted Curtis Marine in Plymouth for an alternative quote and am awaiting the details. Does anyone have any other recommendations?

Also if you were with Y it is perhaps worth checking and diarising a few weeks before your renewal date so you are not left uninsured if, like us, you rely on a renewal invite being sent before your current policy expires!

Hurricane

Visit site
We have been insured with Y for quite a few years, Y has now been sold to Topsail. We have just realised that our insurance ran out 3 days ago and we have not had a renewal note from Topsail. Having just phoned them they confirm that they somehow missed sending it out! Needless to say I’m not impressed, and even less impressed that our premium has increased by over 50% in 2 years, even though we’ve had over 30 years of continuous claim free boating.
I guess we should have been more aware of the renewal date, but we have ALWAYS had a renewal reminder on all our different boats weeks before the renewal date.

I have contacted Curtis Marine in Plymouth for an alternative quote and am awaiting the details. Does anyone have any other recommendations?

Also if you were with Y it is perhaps worth checking and diarising a few weeks before your renewal date so you are not left uninsured if, like us, you rely on a renewal invite being sent before your current policy expires!
Mention to Curtis that you post on here and they will give you a discount.
That said, I think they give you their best price (which includes a worthwhile discount) from the outset.

Keith-i

Visit site
I did get notified by Y for my Rib renewal. The price has gone up a little but more concerning is that the policy is not as good in particular a much more limited cruising extent. Curtis offered wider cruising but a higher premium still. Might try Coleman’s.

dunedin

Visit site
We got a renewal letter a month before from Topsail (ex-Y) - and the premium, which increased substantially in the final years of Y, had not gone up too much with Topsail.
However, I have reminders set up in Google Calendar so my phone reminds me a few weeks before all critical dates - boat insurance, car insurance …..wedding anniversary :) etc. Very easy to set up

IDAMAY

Winter: Algarve Summer: Wherever the boat is.
Visit site
I did get a reminder from Y/Topsail but the premium increased to an uncompetitive level. Have recently insured with Navigators via Curtis which takes me back to the combination I was with 10 plus years ago, although the Navigators policy is now quite different.

Momac

Visit site
I must say Topsail worked hard to keep my business at my renewal back in March.
But their first offer was far above the final result.

sharpness

Visit site
I must say Topsail worked hard to keep my business at my renewal back in March.
But their first offer was far above the final result.
This is my frustration with all insurance renewals. The process of your existing provider matching better quotes obtained, when in reality they should be offering this best price to you as an existing customer from the outset.

Greg2

Visit site
We went with Curtis as a consequence of Hurricane’s recommendation and their premium was the best of several by a country mile.