Tom Cunliffe

LittleSister

Me Norfolk/Suffolk border - Boat Deben & Southwold
Visit site
I was impressed that he had the grace to admit, in a magazine article explaining the techniques for manoeuvring different types of boats, that he'd failed on the day to get a long-keeler (a Twister?) to reverse under control.

I seem to recall it was actually a forumite's boat (the artist formerly known as 'Long Keeler'?).

Poignard

Visit site
I was impressed that he had the grace to admit, in a magazine article explaining the techniques for manoeuvring different types of boats, that he'd failed on the day to get a long-keeler (a Twister?) to reverse under control.

I seem to recall it was actually a forumite's boat (the artist formerly known as 'Long Keeler'?).
I think it was Twister Ken.

Every time some know-all tells me (as they occasionally do) that any boat ( including my Twister) can always be manouvered astern in the desired direction, I quote Tom Cunliffe.

Unfortunately, those sorts of know-alls usually don't have a high opinion of TC. (which comes as no surprise).

An invitation to demonstrate their skills on my boat usually shuts them up.

Here's TC's article:

Going astern with twin, long and fin keels

Blueboatman

Visit site
That’s a fun article
Quite a bit of wind blowing judging by the angle of heel on the masts athwart the wind ?

In a n other bit of writing I remember TK referring to TC’s “in real life, what would you actually do?” solution to shifting a twister out of a bad berth .. just give the bow ( or stern) a hefty shove with yer boot, then assist that momentum with the engine !
Practical solutions that let you get on with enjoyable safe sailing ( and not causing distress to other parked boats ) . That’s great teaching IMO

Poignard

Visit site
That’s a fun article
Quite a bit of wind blowing judging by the angle of heel on the masts athwart the wind ?

In a n other bit of writing I remember TK referring to TC’s “in real life, what would you actually do?” solution to shifting a twister out of a bad berth .. just give the bow ( or stern) a hefty shove with yer boot, then assist that momentum with the engine !
Practical solutions that let you get on with enjoyable safe sailing ( and not causing distress to other parked boats ) . That’s great teaching IMO
John Goode wrote some booklets that give good advice in dealing with recalcitrant long-keeled yachts.

Also Duncan Wells' book "Stress Free Sailing"

Bajansailor

Visit site
He told the story of the passage from the south of Brazil to Barbados at a talk to the Sadler Association years ago. Great talk though a bit vague about why he had to leave in a hurry and was unable to put in to any Brazillian port. Sounded like he didn't want to incriminate himself. ?
I vaguely remember reading an article that mentioned how Tom and his wife were flat broke and they carried a cargo of tee shirts somewhere with Saari to earn a few $$'s (she was literally stuffed full in every available space) - that might have been in Brazil, and I got the impression that the whole deal was decidedly dodgy, hence maybe why he didn't want to stop along the way?