Tollesbury, Brightlingsea, very quiet

DoubleEnder

Visit site
I’m boatless for now. Today we went by road to Tollesbury where I kept a boat maybe 20 years ago, and where I’ve visited by boat much more recently. Lots of empty spaces on the saltings it seemed. It used to be pretty full, didn’t it? And then over to Mersea Stone opposite Brightlingsea. Tide flooding, glorious sunshine, lovely SW 3 maybe 4. And watched 2 boats come up the Colne towards Brightlingsea. I thought there would be a tailback! maybe I was early but I’d have thought 630 on Sunday afternoon would be busier than that.
Seems very quiet.
but I quite fancy getting a little boat out on Tollesbury saltings again. V tempting in 27 degree sunshine.

jant

Visit site
Brightlingsea has been very quite with visitors this year, it would appear to be a sign of the times, I visited st kats recently and there were loads of empty berths. chatting to other east coast cruisers anchoring has once again become the norm.

MikeBz

Visit site
Southwold Harbour was very busy last week - we only managed to book a space because we are shallow draft and they had a resident's berth which was unoccupied for a few nights. A trio of Dutch Victoire 1044s in, whom we later saw in the Deben as well.

johnalison

Visit site
Southwold Harbour was very busy last week - we only managed to book a space because we are shallow draft and they had a resident's berth which was unoccupied for a few nights. A trio of Dutch Victoire 1044s in, whom we later saw in the Deben as well.
Not bad boats, well built and respectable performance. The same designer as the more quirky Breehorn I believe. We once joined a Dutch couple on board for drinks and liked what we saw.

rich

www.portofjersey.je
I’ve just spent the last 4 weeks sailing Salcome to Ipswich, you couldn’t have got a dinghy into Yarmouth one weekend, but on the East coast so many boats still ashore,

MikeBz

Visit site
Not bad boats, well built and respectable performance. The same designer as the more quirky Breehorn I believe. We once joined a Dutch couple on board for drinks and liked what we saw.

Yes, Dick Koopmans. They are attractive and appear very nicely finished inside. The Dutch seem to have a much more interesting range of yachts available on their secondhand market and they are usually very well looked after. I’ve been keeping tabs on what De Valk brokerage have on their books for some time now with an eye on a future upgrade - sadly Brexit has knocked that on the head.

Plum

Visit site
I’m boatless for now. Today we went by road to Tollesbury where I kept a boat maybe 20 years ago, and where I’ve visited by boat much more recently. Lots of empty spaces on the saltings it seemed. It used to be pretty full, didn’t it? And then over to Mersea Stone opposite Brightlingsea. Tide flooding, glorious sunshine, lovely SW 3 maybe 4. And watched 2 boats come up the Colne towards Brightlingsea. I thought there would be a tailback! maybe I was early but I’d have thought 630 on Sunday afternoon would be busier than that.
Seems very quiet.
but I quite fancy getting a little boat out on Tollesbury saltings again. V tempting in 27 degree sunshine.
Brightlingsea visitor's pontoon is packed 3-deep today and was yesterday. The OGA fleet visiting on their summer cruise.

www.solocoastalsailing.co.uk