Tohatsu 2.5 and 3.5 2 stroke difference.

greeny

Visit site
I'm just looking to order a new carb for my tohatsu 3.5 2 stroke after a myriad of minor problems with it. When I look at the Tohatsu manual, it looks as though the carb is the same for the 2.5 and the 3.5. Seems wrong to me. I would at least expect different jet sizes on the larger engine or is the difference just the needle position on the slide? Next question is, before I order, is there a power upgrade that could be achieved by fitting a different, larger carb. as on some other engines?

dancrane

Visit site
Weird. Is that just the difference between the two engines' carburettors, or the whole difference between the two engines?

Why would anybody have bought the 3.5, if they could buy a 2.5 (or did not it cost less? :unsure:) and move the washer to upgrade it?

greeny

Visit site
Ok thanks for that info. Now I can happily order the carb. OR is there an upgrade I can do by ordering a different carb. Sounds like 3.5 will be as far as it will go though.

Last edited:

Sea Change

Visit site
Ok thanks for that info. Now I can happily order the carb. OR is there an upgrade I can do by ordering a different carb. Sounds like 3.5 will be as far as it will go though.

AFAIK the next model up (4hp) is a different beast, with F-N-R and twist throttle. Weight jumps up to about 19kg too. And it's basically the same engine as the 5hp 🙂

John_P

Visit site
The plastic face plate on the 3.5hp has a longer slot to allow a longer travel of the throttle control arm which in turn allows higher revs which give the higher output, its an easy job with a small cutter to modify the face plate of the 2.5hp to increase the travel of the throttle arm.

benny10210

Visit site
I'm just looking to order a new carb for my tohatsu 3.5 2 stroke after a myriad of minor problems with it. When I look at the Tohatsu manual, it looks as though the carb is the same for the 2.5 and the 3.5. Seems wrong to me. I would at least expect different jet sizes on the larger engine or is the difference just the needle position on the slide? Next question is, before I order, is there a power upgrade that could be achieved by fitting a different, larger carb. as on some other engines?
Hi I have the same outboard and it's the same carburetor as my Mercury 3.3hp outboard. Plus the same coil and coil under the fly wheel. Mad !!! No upgrade is available. Kenneth