Toast

Bouba

Visit site
I have a blow torch that I bought to try to undo a seized bolt holding a halyard winch to the mast. It failed miserably at this*. It does work on the antique Taylors two burner which is carried in case we run out of propane. It might be allowed to attempt crème brûlée.

* It was after the yard’s impact driver also failed that I realised the base of a Harken flat top winch and the base of the equivalent model self trailer are identical and built the self tailing top on the old base. Duh!
I have many things on the boat...including a hot knife for cutting rope...but I draw the line at blow torch !...even if crème brûlée sounds nice😂🤣

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
I cannot imagine yachting without toast as it solves many eating menu problems and is comfort food.My last boat had a gas stove with a grill but prospective new purchase has no toasting facility.What would be the simplest path to toasting….I was thinking solar with an inverter and a household 240 toaster,how much solar would I need to toast?
You will be extremely disappointed if you ever sail with me. Toast is one of the greatest fire risks in the know universe and has no place anywhere near a small sailing vessel, perhaps planet earth.

Neeves

Visit site
You will be extremely disappointed if you ever sail with me. Toast is one of the greatest fire risks in the know universe and has no place anywhere near a small sailing vessel, perhaps planet earth.
Being a cat.... our galley was down in one of the hulls and sitting on the steps down to the galley and watching the bread toast with a mug of fresh coffee in hand and glancing out off the saloon windows, iPad propped up displaying radar, was one of life's simple pleasures.

Its really not the same 'on land' - you would never sit and watch an electric toaster. :)

Jonathan

jbweston

Visit site
Scene: In harbour, breakfast time. A friend of mine, Chris, is waiting for me to produce toast with my 220 volt toaster. Dense, acrid smoke starts to fill the cabin . . .
Me: 'Sorry. The bread's too thick for the toaster.'
Chris: 'The only thing too thick for the toaster is you.'

LittleSister

Me Norfolk/Suffolk border - Boat Deben & Southwold
Visit site
I cannot imagine yachting without toast as it solves many eating menu problems and is comfort food.My last boat had a gas stove with a grill but prospective new purchase has no toasting facility. . .

:oops:

Steady on Wansworth, there may be people on this forum with dodgy hearts!

Are you feeling ok yourself? Not perhaps a little light-headed? 😁

We need a seperate thread to vet your potential purchase!

. . . What would be the simplest path to toasting….I was thinking solar with an inverter and a household 240 toaster,how much solar would I need to toast?

Cut out the middleman - get yourself a very large magnifying glass, and Bob's your uncle - toast your, er, toast direct with the sun!

Seriously, you won't get enough power from solar panels to directly run an electric toaster - they take about 900W, it seems - but you could potentially run one off batteries which you'd charge with solar. If my calculations are correct 900W would be 75 amps at 12V, add say 20% for inverter losses would give maybe about 90A draw in total.

The other approach is to replace the gas hob with one that has a grill, though I know that can sometimes require modifying the furniture and losing a drawer or locker. (Those French boats do seem to tend to 'picnic' approach to cooking - namby-pamby sales and the like, not manly steak and kidney pies etc. like us Brits.)

Wansworth

Visit site
:oops:

Steady on Wansworth, there may be people on this forum with dodgy hearts!

Are you feeling ok yourself? Not perhaps a little light-headed? 😁

We need a seperate thread to vet your potential purchase!

Cut out the middleman - get yourself a very large magnifying glass, and Bob's your uncle - toast your, er, toast direct with the sun!

Seriously, you won't get enough power from solar panels to directly run an electric toaster - they take about 900W, it seems - but you could potentially run one off batteries which you'd charge with solar. If my calculations are correct 900W would be 75 amps at 12V, add say 20% for inverter losses would give maybe about 90A draw in total.

The other approach is to replace the gas hob with one that has a grill, though I know that can sometimes require modifying the furniture and losing a drawer or locker. (Those French boats do seem to tend to 'picnic' approach to cooking - namby-pamby sales and the like, not manly steak and kidney pies etc. like us Brits.)
I think the inclusion of details like the lack of a toaster shows more than normal interest in the Gibsea28😂🙄

onesea

Visit site
That would be the blow torch I have occasionally used to pre-heat the burner of my Taylors 065 paraffin cabin heater :D
Until I got a paraffin heater, I never kept a blow torch on the boat. It has more uses than you would think. Rope ends fraying fabric edges, seizes nuts, heat shrink etc etc.

However I would be interested in stove top toasters.

Poignard

Visit site
Until I got a paraffin heater, I never kept a blow torch on the boat. It has more uses than you would think. Rope ends fraying fabric edges, seizes nuts, heat shrink etc etc.

However I would be interested in stove top toasters.
This is what we have, and it works brilliantly but if I was buying a replacement I would buy a rectangular one since the Diablo wastes the corners of the slices.

1699011732689.png

duncan99210

Winter in Falmouth, summer on board Rampage.
djbyrne.wordpress.com
I’ve got an ancient “boaty” frying pan (all the non stick gone) which I use for making toast. Simply heat it up on the ring, put bread in pan, keep and eye on it and turn when the right colour for your taste. Works well and has the advantage of being very simple. For cheese on toast, remove half toasted slice from pan, butter toasted side, place cheese on top and return to pan: the heat from the pan will melt the cheese although It won’t brown it…
Don’t try it with a new non stick pan: it’ll ruin it. Don’t ask how I found out…..

Wansworth

Visit site
I’ve got an ancient “boaty” frying pan (all the non stick gone) which I use for making toast. Simply heat it up on the ring, put bread in pan, keep and eye on it and turn when the right colour for your taste. Works well and has the advantage of being very simple. For cheese on toast, remove half toasted slice from pan, butter toasted side, place cheese on top and return to pan: the heat from the pan will melt the cheese although It won’t brown it…
Don’t try it with a new non stick pan: it’ll ruin it. Don’t ask how I found out…..
All good info

Bouba

Visit site
This forum affects life in so many different ways....for example I read out loud to the wife some of the posts here...and guess what we are having for supper ?....toasted sandwiches 😁😎