To lay up or not to lay up

DavidofMersea

Visit site
We have traditionally laid up at the end of October, and launched early in April.

It seems to me that often during November and December, and again February and March, there are several nice days that we could have a pleasant sail, if we rapped up well.

When I started sailing 50 years ago, we did not get the boats out until about May, and laid up again late September.

Has the time come for us to just lay up in January?

<hr width=100% size=1>

hlb

RIP
Visit site
Our new years eve party would be a very sad afair if the boat was on dry land!! But if it rocks your boat. Why not!!!../forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

<hr width=100% size=1> No one can force me to come here. I'm a volunteer!!.

Haydn

hardy

Visit site
we went out Saturday from Chichester
it was great hardly anyone around all day , lots of sail boats , everyone friendly and a wave here and there , no struggling for space etc. a great winter day I am staying in for the winter just for dys like that.
I even started looking at the saily type boats with a tinge of envy.at the serenity of it all , but over the bar empty solent cracked in the turbo , what joy!!

<hr width=100% size=1>KISMET HARDY

webcraft

www.bluemoment.com
Just been out to the boat (swinging mooring) on a lovely Winter's day - the first time for about seven weeks. Apart from a sticky throttle lever there were no problems at all, no dampness. We ran the engine and had a very pleasant short sail down the sound.

I like knowing I CAN go sailing even if I don't, and staying in should save us over £600.

I think coming out every second or third year for three or four months is probably a good idea to dry the hull a bit and get some serious work done, but the ritual of coming out every year is worthy of closer inspection IMHO.

- Nick

<hr width=100% size=1><font size=1><A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.bluemoment.com>http://www.bluemoment.com</A></font size=1>

BlueSkyNick

Visit site
January isn't quite so bad either One of my most enjoyable sails in 2004 was 3rd Jan, single-handed to Yarmouth, couple of pints in the pub while the tide changed, then back to S'oton just as it got dark.

Saw about 6 other boats and all day, and really relaxed - chilled, in fact !

<hr width=100% size=1>I can't be bothered with a footnote - it's usually rubbish anyway.

johnwest

Visit site
There are some great sailing days in the winter.
Just confirm with your insurance company that you will be covered.
I normally slip mine in summer when the yards are quiet and the prices are down.
But only for a few days, just enough time to do anti-fouling anodes etc.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Rob_Webb

Visit site
I changed to leaving her in all winter and only lifting out every other year for a few weeks. Moved her to marina for extra safety and security (also required by insurer) but no big deal - used to stay at Campers and they charged a very nominal rate for the Dec-Feb slot, about 1/3 of the peak time, so perfectly affordable.

Just kept the boat fully commissioned i.e. ran the engine every 3 weeks if not sailing. And enjoyed the odd nice day sail.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Mirelle

N/A
Visit site
To lay up...

I recently decided in favour of the traditional lay up ashore. The wear and tear on the gear is far heavier in the winter.

<hr width=100% size=1>Que scais-je?