To any South of France-based forumites!

B175Chris

Visit site
Hi guys,

Long time no speak! Busy busy here! Hope you're all doing well :)

Just a quick question, really, on the off-chance that someone may be able to help - I'm exploring other avenues as well but it doesn't hurt to ask for any advice!

Basically, for my third year of my Management With French course at university I have secured a work placement in a town called Drap, based around 15 minutes outside of Nice and about 5km from Villefranche Sur-Mer. (I won't mention the company here for privacy reasons).

The placement will last from 30th August and last until the 3rd June 2011.

I am looking for the best accommodation option possible, however as I seem to have landed myself in one of the most expensive parts of Southern France, finding affordable and practical accommodation is going to be a challenge.

Instead of renting a flat, either by myself of with others, I would ideally like to stay with a family; I don't mind if the family is French or English, but I think it would be the best option.

I'm not asking if anyone knows of any families like this per se, because the odds of knowing someone nearby that is willing to take a stoodent is probably very low, so what I *am* asking is if anyone knows the area and could offer practical advice on the best places to look at in or around the region with regards to public transport travel into Drap, cheaper living costs etc.

Obviously I will be posting this on more specific websites, but you've been very helpful before so if you don't mind I'm posting here first just to test the water and iron out any kinks. :)

Cheers

Chris

Last edited:

jfm

Visit site
Hi Chris
Well you're in one of the most expensive places on the planet, but only in Jul/Aug. Winter accom is loads cheaper. You might find a flat to rent for the winter for something like €450/month

I would read ads and place an ad on Anglo Riviera forum. Also I'd look on the holidaylettings.co.uk type of websites and contact the owners of flats and offer them a deal. They will want to rent their flats weekly from May to Spetember but outside that season they might well take a deal from you. On those websites you are talking directly to owners; no middleman. Draft an email to owners, and paste it into a hundred emails

If you wanted to live in Antibes I could suggest flats available to rent for winter, but it would be an awkward commute. Train is easy to Villefranche or Eze, but then you need to get to Drap by car. And if you buy a car and drive to Drap it's a bit of a nuisance from Antibes, praps 18km. So you'd be better living nearer Drap I guess

Good luck and let us know how you get on

EME

www.lumishore.com
Hi Chris

If you wanted to live in Antibes I could suggest flats available to rent for winter, but it would be an awkward commute. Train is easy to Villefranche or Eze, but then you need to get to Drap by car. And if you buy a car and drive to Drap it's a bit of a nuisance from Antibes, praps 18km. So you'd be better living nearer Drap I guess

You would change at Nice Central from Antibes and take a bus I think ... but still 1 hr plus ???

Nick_H

www.ybw-boatsforsale.com
Maybe contact the University in Nice? Universities often have accomodation available in the summer months when students are on holiday, then you could maybe find something reasonably priced for the rest of the year. Also maybe look at the notice boards in the crew hangouts, and join a shared house, but I don't know how much of a crew scene there is in Nice/Beaulieu.

wakeup

Visit site
Accommodation in SoF

Hi Chris,

You might also want to take a look at
http://riviera.angloinfo.com/
and check out the properties offered for rent in the forum section on right hand side. I would also suggest that you post what you are looking for onto the forum as there are lots of helpful people thereabouts..

Simples.

Wakeup

B175Chris

Visit site
Hi Chris
Well you're in one of the most expensive places on the planet, but only in Jul/Aug. Winter accom is loads cheaper. You might find a flat to rent for the winter for something like €450/month

I would read ads and place an ad on Anglo Riviera forum. Also I'd look on the holidaylettings.co.uk type of websites and contact the owners of flats and offer them a deal. They will want to rent their flats weekly from May to Spetember but outside that season they might well take a deal from you. On those websites you are talking directly to owners; no middleman. Draft an email to owners, and paste it into a hundred emails

Hi jfm,

Antibes seems too far out for the commute so living closer to Drap would be better, because getting a car is not really an option... I'm going to take a closer look at Nice and see where the cheaper student lets are available..

Also, Nick, I hadn't thought of contacting the university, but will do now, that's a great idea!

AngloInfo looks the way to go, many thanks :)

captainalex

Visit site
Hi Chris,

I echo what Nick has said about the university, also there are plenty of language schools that operate in that area that'll know about cheap accomodation. I had some friends do a language course 5 or 6 years ago and they stayed in old Nice. As far as other avenues go i'd perhaps try riviera radio, i think they're online as well.

Hope that helps (wish i could up sticks for 9 months on the Cote d'azur!)

B175Chris

Visit site
OK folks, just to update, I will now be (hopefully) staying in Nice and commuting to Drap. The company director has assured me that they all live in Nice and get the Sunbus 6 in the morning which apparently goes from Nice to Drap. If anyone knows a family there who might want a lovely, friendly student to stay with them for about 400 euros/month, you know where to catch me :D