To all the doubters

Madhatter

wp.me
In previous post on the classic boat fiasco I was commenting on the fact that we had not been consulted and the transfer of personal details and I have been ridiculed, called paranoid, and many other names.ok fair enough but it has now come to light that PMs have also gone over :eek:
TAKE NOTE
to those that have done any sales on this site, ask yourselves this " have I disclosed any personal details in order to receive payments for goods sold "

Now your not so smug are you and I mean that with respect but think about !!!

cimota

Visit site
To transfer collected personal data to another entity requires the expressed permission of the data holders, not just an opt-out. That's according to UK data protection laws.

I personally don't care - I think that the Classics forum may suffer without the critical mass of the other forums here (PBO, YM). Certainly dividing the sites up like this is a frustration. Very few magazines have active forums as is. Certainly not ST or Afloat.ie.

Madhatter

wp.me
Some and I say some people have given their bank details to enable the transfer of funds for goods sold ( under the illusion that private means private NOT FOR BL00DY SALE):mad:
For christs sake don't you get it, it is why the data protection act was brought in :rolleyes:

Searush

back2bikes.org.uk
Some and I say some people have given their bank details to enable the transfer of funds for goods sold ( under the illusion that private means private NOT FOR BL00DY SALE):mad:
For christs sake don't you get it, it is why the data protection act was brought in :rolleyes:

You mean the numbers printed on every cheque you have ever issued? How secret is that then? :confused:

Sort code & account number - fine for paying in, not enough for withdrawals. So "SOME people" may get funds illegally deposited in their accounts?? :rolleyes: I hope it's me!

oGaryo

Visit site
Steve, what if that pm you sent me several months ago got out in the open forum:eek: the one where you confessed that you secretly want to swap the tub for a mobo!:eek::D food for thought huh:)

Madhatter

wp.me
You mean the numbers printed on every cheque you have ever issued? How secret is that then? :confused:

Sort code & account number - fine for paying in, not enough for withdrawals. So "SOME people" may get funds illegally deposited in their accounts?? :rolleyes: I hope it's me!

Its not just that it is the collective information put all together that they use currently running at over 2 billion pounds :-
"Figures from the National Fraud Authority (NFA) estimate that every year in the UK identity fraud costs more than £2.7 billion to the UK economy and affects over 1.8 million people. At least £1.9 billion of this is the amount gained by the fraudster. That means that on average, fraudsters gain over £1,000 from every stolen identity (18 October 2010)."
And they say this is only the tip of the iceburg

Last edited:

SailBobSquarePants

Visit site

Then they are silly. Seriously.

As we have seen with the progression across THREE forum moderators in the last 6 months, not even IPC's staffing is stable, nor guaranteed to not have a rampant thief running the forums at some point. Not that I actually distrust any of them, but frankly I know no more about Richard and Natalie than I do any random sys admin or moderator at Chelsea.

maxi77

Visit site

Whilst I have sympathy for your viewpoint, it still does seem to break the data protection laws. These are in place to protect us and thus should be enforced. As it is they seem to have given wholly inadequate notice of their action and totally failed to take the action they promised too, and then try to brush of some one who complains. Not good customer relations.

Madhatter

wp.me
Then they are silly. Seriously.

As we have seen with the progression across THREE forum moderators in the last 6 months, not even IPC's staffing is stable, nor guaranteed to not have a rampant thief running the forums at some point. Not that I actually distrust any of them, but frankly I know no more about Richard and Natalie than I do any random sys admin or moderator at Chelsea.

They may be silly but we are all guilty of errors of judgement , hence the data protection act and why the rules should not be broken making the error even more exposed ,its all a numbers game.

Another factor is that no matter how clever you think you are you get exposed on rare occasions through no fault of your own eg:-
when Windows XP security (think it was XP I may be wrong)was left wide open for months by leaving a back door open for hackers via picture media, how many were thus exposed , how many more mistakes like that are about that are not known ?

As for the moderation staff turn over ,yes I agree but they are all traceable if a suspected fraud has taken place ( unless of course they got the job by stealing someone's identity :eek:)

Lakesailor

Visit site
Ah. It seems that 3 ex-IPC staffers are at Chelsea Publishing. So it's fine for them to trawl your details (such as they are) at IPC, but not over there

Searush

back2bikes.org.uk
Steve, what if that pm you sent me several months ago got out in the open forum:eek: the one where you confessed that you secretly want to swap the tub for a mobo!:eek::D food for thought huh:)

No problem; I have often said on open forum that when I am too old & decrepit to manage a proper yacht, I will be happy to have a displacement MoBo. :D