Tiny Tach

afterpegassus

Visit site
Very neat wee units, these.
However on opening the packaging and reading through the leaflets,it is stated that the internal battery has an expected lifetime of five years and is not replaceable.
Does this mean that its memory will become defunct and I will lose the engine hours functions?
Or, has anyone dug into one of these and managed to replace the battery?

Refueler

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Very neat wee units, these.
However on opening the packaging and reading through the leaflets,it is stated that the internal battery has an expected lifetime of five years and is not replaceable.
Does this mean that its memory will become defunct and I will lose the engine hours functions?
Or, has anyone dug into one of these and managed to replace the battery?

[/ QUOTE ]

What engine and model TT did you order ? This is the answer I got from TT only a few weeks ago on the question of batts etc.

Quote :

<span style="color:blue"> Nigel,

The Standard TT is for 1 or 2 cylinder petrol engines with a maximum RPM of 9950.

Standard models update every 2 seconds when the engine is running.

The Diesel TT now has flash memory so there is no internal battery and finite life of the unit.

It is backlit and weatherproof.

The Diesel will work on any DC voltage from 9 to 50V and updates, when the engine is running, every 2 seconds showing a smooth RPM change on the display.

Apart from RPM and total hours it has 2 service timers, trip hours and will also show peak RPM for the last time the engine ran.

Thanks & Regards,
</span>

So question is for what engine did you order ? Mine was for a Perkins Diesel ...

RobBrown

Visit site
Here is the link to the instructions on the website:

http://www.tinytach.com/tinytach/images/diesel_instructions.pdf

In the earlier paras it states the unit needs a external power source (12V DC) but the last sentence at para 5 says that the mp & display are powered by a non replacable internal lithium battery that should last 5 yrs. It was this which made me rethink whether to purchase one, so I would also like to clarify the position.

Refueler

Visit site
My E-mail to TT was based on conflicting data and no definitive statement on site .... you have read the reply I rec'd.

They state the new diesel TT contains a flash memory and no internal battery ...... I leave it at that apart from saying that if you want absolute info instead of posts referring to website old info ... PM me and I will pass the e-mail address of the person to ask ... give him the serial / ID number of the unit and I'm sure he'll reply with exact reply.

/forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Amulet

www.flickr.com
My one on the diesel had no indication of finite life. I have had very helpful advice from them - I had an installation problem which was entirely my own making. Vibration broke the connection to the sensor (secretly). I think the only difference in specs for different engines is the injector line thickness as it senses the pulsing in tube thickness with pressure. Great little piece of kit.

srp

Visit site
I've opened one up. It was a difficult job as the whole thing is potted with a flexible grey rubbery compound (a bit like Sikaflex, but not so tough).
3495339128_e6f22d374e.jpg

Eventually, having dug right down to the circuit board I found the battery is soldered on to the circuit board - it's a CR2325.
3495336396_7b140272b3.jpg

If you're determined and very careful then I would think it's possible to replace the battery in one of these. Some time ago I found a web site that offered a battery replacement service for them (something to do with some sort of car or go-cart racing I think).
I'm now on my third. The first one lasted about 3 months, the second about 2 weeks and I haven't even bothered fitting the 3rd replacement. I bought it on a bit of a whim, based on what a lot of people here thought about it. I wish I'd saved my money, it's really quite pointless knowing how many revs my engine is doing as I have a pair of ears.

Refueler

Visit site
As TT say - the NEW TT has flash memory and not a battery.

Funny really because after reading and e-mailing about them - I started looking at other ways to do it. Radio Control Models use optic and driven hand tachos for prop setting - cheap and small. So centred on that .... then found on ebay a chinese supplier for peanuts. All I have to do now is fix a reflective strip to crank pulley. I can also monitor shaft speed as well ...

I'm also waiting for the Bike Computer to arrive so I can set-up a permanent job.

So I shall after all these years finally know what the old girls really doing !

Other threads that may be of interest