Tinker Tramp query

apw3

Visit site
I have a Tinker Tramp that, in addition to the usual four valves, has two schrader (car type) valves, one on top of and to the rear of each tube.
They are not mentioned in the owner's literature nor are they shown in any photos I have seen of other Tramps.
The manual instructs to inflate the inner tubes first using the rearmost of the four valves before completing the job by inflating the the two forward valves.
Can anyone explain the function of the schrader valves please. Thanks all.

sarabande

Visit site
I have two Tinkers, a Tramp and and a Traveller. Neither has the car valves at the stern, and I have not seen any other Tinker with them.

I suspect they are an aftermarket fit designed for an airline in a garage or a foot/battery pump to top up the outer tube. Or possibly a Co2 bottle with an air hose and car inflater for emergency use ?

Do the tubes deflate a bit ? Chuck some soapy water over the tubes and see if you find any bubbles.

James_Calvert

Visit site
Be very careful not to overinflate the inner tubes, they can split their seams and you will then lose their safety function. Just enough so they feel a bit firm.

geem

Visit site
I have a Tinker Tramp that, in addition to the usual four valves, has two schrader (car type) valves, one on top of and to the rear of each tube.
They are not mentioned in the owner's literature nor are they shown in any photos I have seen of other Tramps.
The manual instructs to inflate the inner tubes first using the rearmost of the four valves before completing the job by inflating the the two forward valves.
Can anyone explain the function of the schrader valves please. Thanks all.
Some were equipped as liferafts. They had a CO2 bottle connected

apw3

Visit site
Thanks for the advice. Mine came with the liferaft canopy so the gas bottle inflation on the liferaft version seems very likely.

sarabande

Visit site
The liferaft version had a gas inflatable canopy which is laced to a flap with eyes on each main tube. Somewhere in a shed I have a liferaft kit for the Traveller and can prob dig it out to check the position of the car valve and the gas tube.

If the OP can post a pic, we can see if the schrader is retro-fitted.

sarabande

Visit site
Liferaft Tinker with l acing flap. No valve to main tube.

https://assets.fatllama.com/images/...amp----sailing-inflatable-dingy-57246642.jpeg

QAoTE0W.jpg

EDIT

X5WAI6o.jpg

Liferaft inflated. Note Co2 cylinder and gas line to canopy

ashtead

Visit site
I might be wrong but Avon dinghies had emergency gas bottles as an option which looked more like fire extinguishers and we’re prone to rust etc but just clamped on normal values I thought but maybe an old Avon owner can help. Could these be retrofit valves ?

sarabande

Visit site
I am pretty certain those a one-off specials. I can't think of any other use than for emergency inflation, but why they were put in that position, I cannot fathom.

Unique !

yimkin

Visit site
Definitely for life raft mode. Two small CO2 bottles were provided strapped on the inside of the transom with short hoses to connect to the adjacent Schrader valves.
My Tinker Tramp is now 34 years old and stays inflated. They don't wear out! I bought the canopy kit but have never used it and after the bottles went out of date I couldn't find a test house that would revalidate the certs at a realistic price. I understand the idea was that when the dinghy was to be used in "liferaft" mode it could be kept on deck with the inner tubes at the rear inflated and the CO2 bottles used to quickly inflate the main tubes.
A great dinghy to use; well made, rows well, dry ride, planes with a 6hp o/b.......BUT....... timber floor panels and good thick fabric tubes means its heavy (28Kg), and bulky and a bitch to manhandle.
Last week I bought a 'lightweight' (14 Kg) replacement with an inflatable floor which I can stow below.

geem

Visit site
Definitely for life raft mode. Two small CO2 bottles were provided strapped on the inside of the transom with short hoses to connect to the adjacent Schrader valves.
My Tinker Tramp is now 34 years old and stays inflated. They don't wear out! I bought the canopy kit but have never used it and after the bottles went out of date I couldn't find a test house that would revalidate the certs at a realistic price. I understand the idea was that when the dinghy was to be used in "liferaft" mode it could be kept on deck with the inner tubes at the rear inflated and the CO2 bottles used to quickly inflate the main tubes.
A great dinghy to use; well made, rows well, dry ride, planes with a 6hp o/b.......BUT....... timber floor panels and good thick fabric tubes means its heavy (28Kg), and bulky and a bitch to manhandle.
Last week I bought a 'lightweight' (14 Kg) replacement with an inflatable floor which I can stow below.
We bought one in 2003 to use as a tender. It also had the sailing rig. We thought it would be a good bit of kit since it was hypalon and should be durable. We did an Atlantic circuit in 2004/05. The tinker fell apart in the Caribbean sun. The sailing rig was also useless. The mast snapped on the first sail.

apw3

Visit site
I guess the posts answer my question. Thank you all for the replies.
I bought mine secondhand after the AB inflatable disintegrated. The Tinker makes a fine tender, yes, a bit heavy but liftable onto my foredeck at a pinch.

ashtead

Visit site
Thanks for info on ones for sale on owners site . Just seemed like an idea worth investigating for future - storage on board without davits seems main issue I suspect ?