Timing to enter Ore and Deben

Leighb

Visit site
As a newcomer to cruising, I find myself puzzled by the conflicting information on the best time to enter these rivers.

East Coast Rivers says around 2 hours after LW, whereas the East Coast Pilot says around 2 hours before HW /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Assuming the the former advice is OK it certainly would make more sense to enter the rivers at that time as it means you can carry the flood up the river for longer. Is this right or have I missed the point somewhere?

Yacht is a Halmatic 30, 1.4 metres draft.

Phoenix of Hamble

mishapsandmemories.blogspot.com
Depends on your draft!

For example, on the Deben, as soon as you safely can once the flood has started if you are just heading for Felixstowe Ferry, Ramsholt or the Rocks..... however, if you are going to the Tidemill, then LW+2 wouldn't see enough water to comfortably get there, so you'd be stopping off for a while on the way.....

Roach1948

www.dallimoredesigns.nl
With 1.4m you can get into either at LW neaps - so as Morgana says, get there early and work the flood depending on destination. I find the Deben a far more dangerous river to attempt on the ebb on. I don't do it anymore.

The harder thing is timing the departure out of the Ore to get some flood if your heading back to Pin Mill or heading further South.

Few extra tips on the Deben: Loaders cut is much deeper than Troublesome reach, and has the same water as the tidemill guage. If the grass is covered at Waldringfield, with 1.4 you can sail across the "field" - but I would only attempt this at springs (for starters).

MoodySabre

Visit site
Tip for leaving the Deben.

The HM told me that if Horse Sand was covered then there was enough water over the bar for my 1.7m draft.

Leaving the Tidemill at HW-1 and plugging it down the Deben you can get out in one go. Most people seem to find yet another reason for stopping at the Ramsholt Arms - can't think why /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif