Tiller Pilot Advice Please

Major_Clanger

Home is Suffolk, boat either Suffolk or Cornwall
Visit site
I've just bought an Autohelm ST2000 (not the 2000+) online, tested and working. It doesn't come with any bracketry or female deck socket. Having seen the ridiculous price of the Raymarine brackets (£50 for a piece of bent aluminium) I'm looking for any alternatives please, as well as a likely source for the socket. Does this model have the auto-tack facility?

Thanks for any input........

Flica

Visit site
Over the 35 years I've been using tillerpilots, I've never found one of the all-in-1 control-head and actuator which worked reliably - I have had one of the first 4000ST pilots, which apart from replacement parts has performed faultlessly for 25 years.
The last time it required replacement illumination, Raymarine Service were not able to help me and the Service Centre, Wareham fitted LED replacements.
You'll need to use the supplied tiller pins - they are in stainless and liable to fatigue fracture. The original cockpit stand-off is still working well - and yes it is anodised alumium.
Having said that I sail over 1800 nm a year single handed.

MM5AHO

Visit site
I made a replacement pin for my TP30 and though I got the diameter a little small, seems to work OK.
I've used mine for 4 years, but only do about 1000nm a year compared with the above.

I wonder about any lubrication that's required? Should I do something?

Spyro

Visit site
Yes it has auto tack. If you want to use the supplied plug attached to the TP then you will need to buy the Raymarine female socket unless you are referring to the brass socket that the TP fits onto. I'd cut it off and use a cheaper version. you only need to find the +ve and -ve wires unless you intend to Link it to a GPS. otherwise and 2 pin weatherproof plug and socket will do. As for a tiller pin they are not too expensive but you could probably make one from a stainless bolt if you could file it down. As for bracketry it really depends on the fittings and measurements on the boat. There are various methods of getting the correct fitting such as brackets on top or under the tiller or raising the TP fitting on blacks of wood or brackets.

Flica

Visit site
Fully aware thanks. I've read several horror stories about units packing up due to water ingress. Seems absurd on an item designed exclusively for the marine environment!

So what is the use of a built-to-fail tillerpilot? Especially if you single-hand.

Have one with separate controller, in the dry, and a genuinely waterproof actuator.

Concerto

Visit site
Flica

I have a few spare sockets and pins on my boat, so if you want me send one of each, then send me a PM with your address. I also have an original manual that I could copy if you would like.

nickd

Visit site
Before you fit it the conventional way, which is what I did initially, I then found that I could make a bracket to fit to the underside of my tiller when it was folded up out of the way, this made the whole job a lot more useful, because you can fold the tiller up turn the auto pilot and stretch out in a cockpit that has load more useable space.

ianabc

Visit site
Fully Waterproof

Similar price

With gyro and magnetic compass

Same mounting position as those discussed and same mounting pin

Pelagic autopilot

Will purchase mine direct from US manufacturer soon

oldharry

Visit site
In answer to OPs other question, yes the 2000 does have auto tack. But I am totally fed up with mine. Water gets in, even though it has a cover and I am a true fair weather sailor at my time of life! IT rarely works properly for any length of time. Expensive rubbish! My old AH 800 is not really man enough, but most trips it gets called back into service when the Raymarine throws another wobbly. Raymarine then want £180 a go to 'fix' theirs. But it never lasts. Spraying it inside with WD40 has the same effect: a short term fix and costs a whole lot less!