Tide Mill Yacht Harbour Woodbridge

bromleybysea

Visit site
I’m considering relocating and I was thinking about Woodbridge. I’ve visited there numerous times, like it, my good lady likes it a lot, and I’m aware for the limitations of tridal access, the Deben Bar etc. One important consideration is the drive from my home in south London, so I’m going to do a “dry” run in the car next week. Google Maps says it‘s about 2h20 but it’s not just aboiut the distance. I kept the boat near Portsmouth for a season which was about the same distance from my previous East Coast mooring, but absolutely hated the journey. I‘ve used the A12 frequently in the past so I know what that’s like. Anyway, does anyone know if there would be a waiting list for a berth at Tide Mill for a 32ft traditional sailing boat? Any other info that might be useful welcome.

RivalRedwing

Visit site
The A12 in Essex and the M25 can be challenging on occasions (and I can only imagine what the Blackwall tunnel is like if the QE2 bridge is closed), and there are not many other options, roll on the 2nd Thames crossing.... That said, if you travel outside of peak times it is usually ok, no worse than any trunk road in the SE of England

Last edited:

Cobra

Visit site
Also bear in mind that the A12 is undergoing major works between the M25 and Ipswich with restricted flow and overnight closures this CLICKY LINK will tell you what and where. There are more works happening through the course of the year by all accounts!

johnalison

Visit site
Although I like Woodbridge a lot, you will be over an hour from the sea and usually have to motor most of it, even though it is a lovely river to mess around in. We sailed from Heybridge for many years, which was similarly tide-bound when we lived in Herts, and there is something quite restful about having to fit one’s life into the rhythm of the tides, but we were closer to open water. However, the Blackwater these days is much less appealing than in the ‘70s. I do whatever I can to avoid driving on the A12, which seems to attract the most competitive drivers and should have been improved to motorway standards years ago. I think that somewhere on the Orwell would be better value, but that is a purely personal thought.

Daydream believer

Visit site
However, the Blackwater these days is much less appealing than in the ‘70s.
Bit of a thread drift here. But conversations evolve:-
I help look after moorings on the Blackwater & we have falling numbers. So out of interest. Can you briefly explain what you mean when you say that the Blackwater is "much less appealing than in the ‘70s."
I find that an odd statement, having sailed there since 1959.
But I would like the view of others, as one can be blinkered when one is trying to rent moorings.
ie
moorings

Debennut

Visit site
I kept a boat for many years in Woodbridge, Tide Mill, driving up from South of the Thames.
Yes, it is worth the journey from East Sussex, to the Suffolk rivers and always has been, for a cheaper and more pleasant experience, than the South Coast.
I am now in Shotley, In my view, a by far superior location from a boating point view, although my winter lay up is in Woodbridge with all the delights of the town to hand. I think I get the best of both worlds.
It is the same driving time to Shotley as it is to Woodbridge, although, if the fancy takes you, there is an hourly train service to Woodbridge, which drops you right by the Tidemill, with a night in the Station Guest House if the boat is in the shed!

RickH

Visit site
I phoned in May 2021 to enquire about berthing our newly purchased Snapdragon 24 there. When I spoke to them, there were no free berths, but they did say it may improve for 2022 season. I ended up in Shotley Marina and will be for this coming season. Hope this helps!

johnalison

Visit site
Bit of a thread drift here. But conversations evolve:-
I help look after moorings on the Blackwater & we have falling numbers. So out of interest. Can you briefly explain what you mean when you say that the Blackwater is "much less appealing than in the ‘70s."
I find that an odd statement, having sailed there since 1959.
But I would like the view of others, as one can be blinkered when one is trying to rent moorings.
ie
moorings
A Saturday evening anchored off Osea in the ‘70s would have been a peaceful, even lonely, affair, the only disturbance being the occasional water-skier from around the Stone. One of the reasons we decanted to Walton was that this kind of peace was no longer achievable. when we returned to Heybridge the only other boats around were a few dinghies from BSC. That hasn’t been our experience in recent years, and I don’t want to confine myself to only sailing mid-week in October.

Daydream believer

Visit site
A Saturday evening anchored off Osea in the ‘70s would have been a peaceful, even lonely, affair, the only disturbance being the occasional water-skier from around the Stone. One of the reasons we decanted to Walton was that this kind of peace was no longer achievable. when we returned to Heybridge the only other boats around were a few dinghies from BSC. That hasn’t been our experience in recent years, and I don’t want to confine myself to only sailing mid-week in October.
Thanks for the input.

nortada

Visit site
For us, Walton and the Backwaters still offers a level of piece and quiet seldom found elsewhere.👍🏻

That is, except for around Stone Point during the summer school holidays.👎🏻

alandalus11

Visit site
One reason for me not to spend time moored on the Blackwater is simply the fact there are too many jet ski and small power boats racing up and down the river. Bradwell for me is a lovely marina but we also love the peace and quiet either anchored or moored up. There have been a few times we have gone up the Blackwater only to have jet ski's circling us and messing around. I do sometimes question their ability to avoid a collision hence I do tend to get a bit nervous. I can't say I have experienced the 70's on the Blackwater but I imagine it has changed a lot and the newer crowds may have put a lot of people off.

Capt Popeye

Visit site
remember ... we were all children once.. ;)

Yea most so , I recall my 'Swallows and Amazons' days in /on Deben so very well ; oft finding treasure trove (well I thought it was ?) a few Cannon Balls , Clay Pipes , Fish Shells , all sorts of early Boating item , like shackles , rope ends , A fellow finder was a young fella , called White , understand that He rose to fame there , becomming the Harbour Master

Ah them were glourious days to look back upon {:)#

Last edited: