Tidal info on the internet

davidphillips

Visit site
Can anyone explain why it is so difficult to get tidal information on the internet?

I tried this site (YBW) - no tidal data. I then tried a seach and came up with a number of URL's but all six I found were routed to broken links. One of them said that they had been asked to withdraw their data by the UK Hydrographic Office. The reason given was a dispute over royalties. However, I thought that the H/O was funded by us taxpayers to provide data for the public good.

This seems to me to be the height (or depth) of silliness.........

kimhollamby

www.kimhollamby.com
Info is tightly locked down on copyright. We pay quite a substantial sum each year to provide 24 UK ports for up to two weeks ahead of the day you access them, which I believe is as good as you will find anywhere now.

To access them, bookmark http://www.ybw.com/weather/ which will give you full functionality for the new section we built to house weather and tides recently.

G

Re: New UKHO site

Have you tried the relatively new www.easytide.com? It is an official UKHO site. Unfortunately it only seems to offer predictions up to a week ahwad.

AndrewB

Visit site
Caution with \'Downloadable programs\'.

Due to the peculiarities of the tidal regime in the south and east of England, they are often not that accurate. Predicted HW Dover using wxtide32 for example can be as much as 40 mins and 0.3m (1ft) out compared with HO. So, some caution may be needed.

Stemar

Visit site
Re: Caution with \'Downloadable programs\'.

Weather can affect tides too, so no prediction should be trusted too much. The boat I sail on only draws a metre, but I like to have at least that under my keel - but hey I'm a coward!