Through the Kyles of Bute at 46 knots?

Mistroma

Greece briefly then Scotland for rest of summer
www.mistroma.com
The narrows require attention in a sailing boat (even the main route) because of the current. A very fast boat on the plane doesn't have to worry much about the current. However, it will need to keep within a very narrow path, probably 20-25 metres to avoid smashing into a buoy. A black boat doing it in poor visibility doesn't have much time to respond to a poorly lit vessel coming the other way.

The driver does seem to be a Darwin award contender.

Ink

Visit site
Do we all actually believe that a boat averaged 45 odd knots between Portavadie and Largs via the Kyles?

Astonishing if true.

Ink

Mistroma

www.mistroma.com
Do we all actually believe that a boat averaged 45 odd knots between Portavadie and Largs via the Kyles?

Astonishing if true.

Ink
Good point. I used to send positions from time to time a many years ago when I didn't have AIS. Friends and relatives could see where I was anchored. I can't remember the details as it was probably 7-8 years ago (or more). I think I had to register, possibly with vesselfinder and send SMS or emails in a particular format. It wouldn't be too complicated to draw a route, extract multiple waypoints and report them over about 34 minutes. You'd just send the correct location, time and speed to get it plotted on the web-site. Not certain why anyone would go to that much trouble. Unless they wanted to start a thread here and give people the chance to be outraged. :D:D

ctva

Visit site
Were you replying to the previous post or another post. Your single word of ‘idiot’ is without reference.
Hence my question as I assumed the reference was to the previous post. My bad for missing Telepathy 101. ?
Why ctva asks. Did you read what the Op posted - "A speedboat came back from Portavadie to Largs via the Kyles this afternoon at a steady 45-46 knots, including going through the rocky narrows of the Kyles of Bute at 46 knots after sunset". Enough said.

Narrow water with unmarked hazards and limited sight lines; that speed is egregiously irresponsible, doubly so in the dark.
So you were all there, observing the conditions and circumstances? Did they have radar, image intensifiers, IR sights? We don’t know.

IF it averaged 45kts, that does not mean it did 45 through the narrows. You average 50mph over a car journey at night, doesn’t mean you do 50 out your drive way.

Anyway, how many passing comments here have navigated at night at 20kts plus? I do regularly in rids and take each situation on its merits but would not would not judge without the facts.

Astonishing if true.

Ink
Very probably not but you never know.

penfold

Visit site
So you were all there, observing the conditions and circumstances? Did they have radar, image intensifiers, IR sights? We don’t know.

IF it averaged 45kts, that does not mean it did 45 through the narrows. You average 50mph over a car journey at night, doesn’t mean you do 50 out your drive way.

Anyway, how many passing comments here have navigated at night at 20kts plus? I do regularly in rids and take each situation on its merits but would not would not judge without the facts.

Very probably not but you never know.
I make a point of not 2nd guessing OPs unless I know them to be wrong. The OP specified that the vessel passed through the narrows at 45kts; anyone doing that speed through there is foolhardy and placing every other vessel in the vicinity at risk. Anyone doing so in the dark needs a wedgie from bob the dinosaur and their boating rights revoked. None of "radar, image intensifiers, IR sights" are capable of seeing through solid rock, so the risk of meeting a twit doing the same irresponsible speed in the opposite direction is non-zero. The comparison with driving a car is risible, as is the other whataboutery.

ctva

Visit site
Ok so 46.1kts west of the narrows, what was his speed through the narrows?

I do not know the person, do not know the circumstances but why the outrage etc?

Oh, and 1630 was still light.

KevinV

Visit site
Sensible or not, legal or not - that's got to have been a whole boatload full of fun and excitement!

(and I for one can't claim to never have done something really stupid just because I could)

Mistroma

www.mistroma.com
Ok so 46.1kts west of the narrows, what was his speed through the narrows?

I do not know the person, do not know the circumstances but why the outrage etc?

Oh, and 1630 was still light.

No idea about the circumstances either. Light probably wasn't that good at 16:30. Perhaps you live in the area and know that it was quite light.

I'm about 50 miles East and about 10 miles South. It was certainly pretty dark here today when I looked out at about 16:40. I know it was raining earlier that day and also that evening a little further up the coast. My wife happened to speak to a friend who lives reasonably nearby and I remember them comparing weather notes as it had affected her plans slightly.

Last edited:

penfold

Visit site
Has anyone else mentally explored the possibility that the helm is very experienced and has done this loadsa times before? ?
Said every motorist caught speeding ever and probably a good portion of those darwin award candidates who had trees leap out in front of them; familiarity does breed contempt. An experienced helm would know there's a speed restriction, why it's there and why it's inappropriate to break it; a more creative helm would go via Garroch Head if speed was important, it's a 25% shorter route.
No idea about the circumstances either. Light probably wasn't that good at 16:30. Perhaps you live in the area and know that it was quite light.

I'm about 50 miles East and about 10 miles South. It was certainly pretty dark here today when I looked out at about 16:40. I know it was raining earlier that day and also that evening a little further up the coast. My wife happened to speak to a friend who lives reasonably nearby and I remember them comparing weather notes as it had affected her plans slightly.
It was near enough twilight, after local sunset plus overcast.

Ink

Visit site
If you’re not used to high speed navigation you might not be aware that high speed planing creates far less wash than semi displacement, at 46 knots you create a world less wash than at 12 in most high speed craft.

Not going round right bends you don't.

Ink

Ink

Visit site
Has anyone else mentally explored the possibility that the helm is very experienced and has done this loadsa times before? ?

Unlikely anyone has done this and not through the 'steamer channel'. Get it wrong and there would be a hell of a mess on Eilean Fraoch!

Ink