Throttle cable problems

wazza

Visit site
Hello people,
My throttle cable broke yesterday so limped in to harbour at an idle speed.
I’ve managed to get the cable out and it’s a TX Controls cable 2.25m long. The problem is I can only source a 2.44m cable unless I wait. And my holiday has started.
So to my question the the panel. Can I fit a 2.44m cable and “curl” it or lead it another way. To me it’s only 20cm more so I’m thinking, that doesn’t matter.
What’s the thoughts and opinions.?

andsarkit

Visit site
There will be a minimum bend radius specified for the cable. If you can lose the excess without bending it more than the minimum you will be fine. Is TX a Teleflex cable or another make?
Some more general information here: Teleflex
Usual minimum bend radius seems to be 6". I would try for a more gentle curve than that.

Major Tom

Visit site
Certainly sounds like only a small excess to accommodate. Not sure that tighter radii reduces friction and backlash - my Bavaria cable had two tight right angle reversals installed, to work around a hatch opening - loads of friction, and predictably broke after only 250 hours from new (more typically, at the worst possible time, reversing it out the berth in a hoolie). Standard CC cable, nightmare to access, as it was clearly the first item to be fitted in the boat and so, everything else was on top. Reinstalled, with just very gentle curves - super smooth in comparison. Also, it seems there are varying levels of quality and spec - worth going for the better end.